We don't know what's wrong

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheFarmSchool, Apr 5, 2018.

1. TheFarmSchool

TheFarmSchool In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2018
    Our new Bantam chick Caboose (named after a tv show) Is definentely the runt of our new four baby chicks. It's trying to sleep on his back and it can't chirp correctly, it's opening his mouth, but it's not making any sound. Any ideas? It's also VERY unbalanced, and isn't eating much, yesterday he was fine and today he's not moving barely at all.

-Sydney, Abigail, and Ashlyn; 7th grade from Clay-Platte Montessori.

Attached Files:

2. Country_Boy

Country_Boy In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2018
    South Africa
    Shame, hope it gets better! Maybe try grinding-up the food to a fine powder. Separate it from the others if you think he may be sick but I'm sure once he eats he'll bounce back :)

HuskerHens18 likes this.
  3. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC, kids! Good luck with all the chicks, keep us up to date on the sick one.

HuskerHens18 likes this.
  4. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    Try to get it to drink some electrolyte water - that might help pep it up a little.
    Homemade electrolytes:
    1 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
    1 teaspoon sodium chloride (table salt)
    1 tablespoon sucrose (sugar)
    1 gallon water
    (obviously need to do some math since chick will not drink a gallon)
    It does come in handy if you just want to make it in a milk jug and use it later on too.
    Hope the little one gets better!

TheFarmSchool and HuskerHens18 like this.
  5. Have you used any sav-a-chick electrolytes and probiotics in their water? I always use it on new chicks, it gives them a little boost. Have you seen it drink anything? Maybe dip its beak in the water gently to see if he'll try swallowing it. You could try moistening a tiny bit of feed and making a mash of it and see if he's interested, but honestly the way he looks in the picture isn't good. He probably won't eat, he needs water. Keep us updated, I hope Caboose gets bettee :)

6. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    Also, something that sometimes works for me is to drip water on top of their beak in hopes they'll open and close their mouth to swallow it.

7. TheFarmSchool

Apr 5, 2018
    Unfortunately, we lost Caboose. But we have purchased 12 Ayam Cemani eggs and our Silky, Waffles, hatched two new chicks named "Tucker" and "Church."

8. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    That's too bad. :( But the new names are ADORABLE! :)

9. TheFarmSchool

Apr 5, 2018
    Thank you! Tucker, Caboose and kind of Church were all named after a series called Red Vs Blue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: