we don't want her to be broody!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginna, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ginna

ginna New Egg

Feb 14, 2009
    I'm not sure if this is the right part of the forum, so please let me know if I might get more results somewhere else.

We have a RIR hen that is showing all the signs of being broody. We don't really want her to hatch any eggs, though. Are there downsides to just letting her sit in the empty nesting box? What can we do to make her "not broody"?

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Set her on a wired floor that isn't heated so that, that cool air will affect the heat produce on the belly. Break your broody hens habit

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    There are several possible ways to break a broody but the one that seems to work the most consistently is what Master S.M.C said. Use one of those all wire dog crates and put her in that. Give her no bedding but do give her food and water. Generally after a few days, it may take a week, she will get over it and stop being broody.

It's not fair and too hard on her to just leave her on the nest. Some chickens have been known to die waiting for those eggs to hatch... that never hatch.

I want a broody right now... can I have her? [​IMG]

4. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    My brother in law gives his girls a baby aspirin to "break the fever" and it works every time.

Michelle

5. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    id give anything for one of my hens to go broody.
    i have the chick fever.
    i wanna MAKE my hens go broody.

6. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by