We Finally Got our Chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Smellsey, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Smellsey

Smellsey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    After work yesterday my daughter and I went over to our local Southern States to pick up our chick order. We got 8 chicks in total, 1 of each in the following breeds: Auaucana, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Cuckoo Maran, Golden Laced Wyandotte, and a Brown Leghorn. This is our first venture into caring for chickens, so we were pretty excited to finally get our order.

[​IMG]

Here is my 5 year old with her new friends. She kept and eye on them while I paid. We quickly took them home to get them into their brooder and warm them up.

[​IMG]

The chicks will live at my parents house until they're big enough to be transferred to my house, where the coop and run are being set up. Our coop is being delivered on the 7th, so we're excited to finally get that done.

My dad wondered why I picked one of each and I honestly didn't really think about it at the time. Does anyone else have a complete mix of chickens like this?

2. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Adorable little balls of fluff.

I went with two of each. Some people go with complete mixes so that they can tell them apart. Others go with them just for the variety. Now that you have 1 of each, you shouldn't have much difficulty telling them apart.

3. Smellsey

Smellsey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    We've already named them, so it certainly was helpful that they all look a little different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by