We finally Got our Tractor.........now it overheated... : (

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenzoo, Nov 24, 2009.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Well we finally found a used tractor we could afford. [​IMG] Hubby was so excited, like a kid in a candy store. We picked it up after some small testing out (very small lot) and got it home, used it for a few then a few hours the next day. The second day it started overheating after pulling the box blade and scooping poop for an hour etc... [​IMG] So disheartening.... [​IMG] We know nothing about tractors, but our friend, a mechanic is coming to look at it hopefully this week.............. so it sits.. It is a 1994 40 hp Kabota, manual shift, 4x4. It always starts right up....a good sign I hope..... Anyone know a good place to order tractor parts............ [​IMG]

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Good news it does sound like something simple like a thermostat or more coolant, your mechanic will have an answer for you in a few minutes. You can buy parts pretty easy so don't be down, this problem is cheap to solve.

AL

3. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Have you checked the radiator? It is one of the most overlooked components on a tractor. If you are using the tractor in especially dusty conditions, you will be surprised at how often you need to clean it.

Marty

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Check for oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil. If you have either of those situations (or both), it's most likely a blown head gasket. If not, then it's probably a bad water pump, bad thermostat, low on coolant, bad radiator, etc. If this thing has done a lot of tall-grass bushhogging in its day, check to make sure the fins on the radiator aren't clogged with grass seed. That'll do it, too.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hubby checked the Rad fluid, said it looked like water. Put in half water/ half rad. fluid like manual said, but it still got hot. So we shall see...... I was just getting the hang of using it too... LOL
    I'll check and see if rad is dirty etc.... Thanks

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Water pump is my next guess, check those hoses when she's runnin and queeze them to see if their pumping fluid, or there is air or an empty hose. then flush er'out and go from there. we will get you runnin. let's bust some knunkles and get that little buggar goin.

AL

7. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    OOOOOhhh, sounds like a job for Mike Rowe [​IMG] Who has him this week? I love tractors, they live forever. You can get it fixed, not to worry.

Carrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by