We finally have eggs!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by imamtgrandma2, Nov 3, 2010.

1. imamtgrandma2

imamtgrandma2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    5000' above Fresno, CA
    Yahoo! One of the hens, I think it's Waltzing Matilda the Australorp, has started laying eggs. We've had an egg every day for 6 days. One egg was broken and the shell almost gone. That was the first day and I hadn't checked for eggs at all that day so I think since the hen house is so small...someone stepped on it and they ate the shell. Everything left looked normal.
    Today, I even sat in the extended run with them and 3 out of the 4 hens jumped into my lap for some loving.
    I just can't believe how much fun they are. I think, if we go by the color of the comb/waddle, that Princess the White laced Wyandotte will be the next to lay. Shirley the Partridge Couchin is HUGE but her comb is still pink and Cadbury the EE, is very light pink.
    I think it's omelet time around here!!!
    I'm so happy.

2. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    how exciting! congrats! how old are your girls?

3. imamtgrandma2

imamtgrandma2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    5000' above Fresno, CA
    They were hatched May 17 so they were 20 weeks when the one hen started laying. I just love them so much. They are so mellow that they actually mellow me out when I'm uptight.
    I will have to control myself so I don't get more as their coop is very small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by