We finished our chicken coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by texas_chick, Apr 18, 2009.

1. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Initially we were thinking of something free standing like the playhouse plan but then we decided it would be more out of the way right next to the barn. It's on the east side to get morning sun and then have some shade in the afternoon when it gets hot:
    [​IMG]

Here are some close ups:
    [​IMG]

It's a very open design because heat is more of a concern here than cold

[​IMG]

(I know the chicken ladder is way too big but my husband build it and I didn't want to complain...)

The chickens were so cute! For the first 4 weeks we had them in the house and handled them a lot. For the last 3 weeks they were at the barn (because they had just gotten too messy for the house).

But when I put them in the new coop and sat down with them they all came to sit in my lab. So sweet!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Very nice. [​IMG]

4. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Ok... Mad props on the coop, but that's a wicked barn you've got. I'm envious, for sure.. [​IMG]

5. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    What a fantastic setup! Congratulations!

6. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Thank you! We are actually very proud of the barn. We built it before we had a tractor so we even had to built the gravel road there first with wheelbarrows full of gravel! LOL
    It's pretty tall and the roof part was kind of scary at times. We also have electricity and water out there now.
    The only thing we paid somebody else to do was weld the frame to the ancors in the concrete piers.
    Everything was done by just my husband and I - saved a ton of money but took almost a year to complete on weekends from the time the first truckload of gravel was delivered to the moment the horses set foot in it.

Of course that was before we had kids. Now building a chicken coop already takes a month! LOL

7. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! Looks great!
    [​IMG]

8. HilltopFarm

HilltopFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    The Garden State
    Nice work!!

9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Vey beautiful coop, really grat job [​IMG]

10. Meloout831

Meloout831 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Nice! Would love to build something like that. It looks quite easy to build.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by