1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We found 24 baby chicks! updated - 4 week old pics!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by twistedchick, Jul 8, 2007.

1. twistedchick

twistedchick New Egg

Jul 8, 2007
    New York State
    We noticed that 2 of our less friendly hens have been absent the past few weeks - this isn't that unusual because as I said, they are our loners. Last week we found were they were hiding and that they each had a clutch of eggs - one in the hayloft of our goat barn, one in the rafters of the chicken coop in our larger barn. Well yesterday we were greeted by little peeps when we went into both barns!!!

Our Silver Phoenix has 3 hatched babies and is still sitting on 3 other eggs. She was in the hayloft of the goat barn in a bushel basket.

Our Egyptian Fayoumi made her nest on top of our chicken coop under the loft floorboards, nestled in the insulation. It was hard to tell how many eggs she was laying on and how many chicks hatched - we saw 4 last night so we figured that was about it. Since her nest was in a pretty strange location, and we didn't know if the insulation was a good environment for the babies we decided to move them down to a box.... well my husband started grabbing them chicks out from under her... 1...2...3....4...5...6...7...8..9...10...11....12...13....14....15.....16.....17....18!!!!!! All of her eggs hatched and she had 18 baby chicks!!

So now we have 21 more chickens! Is it odd that 2 hens of different breeds made their nests in 2 different buildings and they hatched on the same day??

We moved both mama's and their babies to boxes with some food and water and secured them in a fenced area (together) - was that the best thing to do? Should we leave the chicks with the hens or separate them out and put them in a brooder box?

Will the mama hens try to feed the chicks? I notice the babies pecking at her beak - and I know that wild birds feed their young.

I would greatly appreciate any input on this.... we really weren't prepared for 21 new babies! Hopefully I can get some pictures later today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are now up to 21 chicks from the Egyptian Fayoumi - I counted again yesterday and there were 20. Then this morning my daughter was in the barn where we found them and she heard a peep, peep... she climbed up into the loft and found one lone chick that we must have missed yesterday. She's in perfect condition... just a little lonley! I'm just amazed at how many chicks were in that nest!!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  2. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I want pics! I think it's funny that they hatched out on the same day. We had 3 dogs that delivered pups at the exact same time. We drove up one day and noticed that they didn't come running out to greet us so we went looking. Lined up in 3 doghouses were 3 mommas giving birth. My dh just shook his head in disbelief. Then they traded pups! It was so hard to figure out whos was whos. At one point one dog only had 2 pups and one of the others had 20!

I know that the momma will show the babies how to eat. She will show them the water too. I wouldn't take them from the mommas. The hens can do a lot better job at this than you or I could!

3. twistedchick

twistedchick New Egg

Jul 8, 2007
    New York State
    Well I double counted the Egyptian Fayoumi / Leghorn babies and realize that I counted wrong - Cleo has 20 babies that hatched!!! I'm so proud of my little mama!! Here are about 1/2 of her babies - the other half are still under her. She is so cute when she's all puffed up with her wings out trying to keep them all under. They seem to be doing great - very lively!!

Our other mama was a little camera shy and kept her babies close - so that picture will have to wait a bit.

[​IMG]

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

What a sweet momma! Congrats on your new ones!
    A good mom will take food in her beak and make a little clucking sound to her chicks. She will also do this with water. Letting mom raise the babies is so much fun and MUCH easier than raising babies without her. No heat lamp, no Are they cold?, Are they hot? Do they know how to eat? Are they getting enough to drink? Mom does all the work.
    She will also have a little noise for danger and all the chicks will burrow under her. She will also act as a chick jungle gym!! [​IMG]
    The best is seeing all the little heads and beaks poking out of every crevis of momma's body. I love having little baby chickies!

5. twistedchick

twistedchick New Egg

Jul 8, 2007
    New York State
    Three more pictures

This one has all the babies showing......

[​IMG]

This one has one little baby peeking out of her wing

[​IMG]

The last picture is our Silver Phoenix with one of 3 of her babies - I love their "faceoff"

[​IMG]

6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    What can anyone say, but......AWWWWW![​IMG]

7. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, they are beautiful!!!!

What breed is their daddy?

Lori

8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Oh my goodness!!! They are adorable. [​IMG] What an awesome hen you have there, to be able to hatch out that many healthy looking babies. That is an amazing number of chicks, I never heard of them having clutches so big before, I thought 10 was pushing it, lol!

9. twistedchick

twistedchick New Egg

Jul 8, 2007
    New York State
    Quote:Daddy is a white leghorn.

The Fayoumi hatched all her own eggs, which I find pretty amazing! Plus all of them hatched, not a single dud in her clutch. I still can't believe she has 20!!

Our Silver Phoenix had some of her eggs and some EE eggs too.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  10. LuckysMom

LuckysMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    South Carolina
    They are beautiful! Congratulations and thanks for the pics![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by