We found our predators

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ernancy, Dec 8, 2009.

1. ernancy

ernancy New Egg

Nov 30, 2009
    Last week we lost 2 of our girls to a predator on 2 separate nights. When we let them out in the morning we found the hen in the coop just ravaged. My husband went outside tonight to check on some plants and there were 2 coons sitting on top of the chicken coop. Now I think we boarded it up pretty well that they haven't been able to get into it again, but I am sure they have been trying. We scared them off, but my husband is going to bo back out in a while and see if he can rid them for good. Now at least we know for sure what happened even though that is exactly what i thought happened.

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Coons are horrible preditors. Persistant and ruthless, I'm glad you know what your up against.

Good luck!

Claudia

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Good luck with that. Very annoying creatures. We didn't stop our problem until we put up the elec. fence. Sorry for your losses.

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    If you decide to catch them, put Marshmallows and honey in a live trap. It works better than meat, cause that way you do not catch the cats. Sorry for your losses. We once lost 30 pullets to a mother coon.

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Houndit nailed it good. [​IMG] Also, keep trapping until you catch no more for a month. [​IMG] After all, marshmallows are cheap. [​IMG] Even if you see no more for a month, set the trap out again periodically in case others come in to your territory. [​IMG]

6. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    Oh yea, keep trapping. But if they are really a problem, bust out the .22. No reason to play nice, they aren't.

7. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought that I had a racoon getting my chickens as well. One night I snuck out to find a opossum trying to get in my hen house. I had tried trapping and letting my dog out all night but no luck till then. Being about three a.m. a gun was out of the question but I took care of him. Since then I have not lost a chicken.

8. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    Actually, the firearms market did the chicken farmer market a favor when they invented what are called CB bullets - basically silent .22 shells. These bullets don't break the sound barrier so there is no bang! GREAT for taking care of unwanted pests in the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by