1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

We found something amazing and scary.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Deester, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Deester

Deester Chirping

Aug 19, 2013
    I just found a baby raccoon locked in the same cage as my Cayuga's. I came out and it was looking at me. My heart dropped. I saw my ducks were fine. I closed them in their pen after free ranging and it must have been in before I closed them in.

I called to my family for backup about what to do. We have a little house inside the run for wind shelter and it was hiding in there. Being a baby my husband said let's catch it and let it go in the woods.

So we managed to get it in a small spot leather gloves in place, I went to pick it up and the sharp teeth along with a growl came out. I was quick enough to get the glove off my hand when I saw the teeth but it spewed something out of it's mouth and had a good hold of the glove. Then to all of our surprise it ran off though the chain link fence and to the woods.

I can't believe my ducks were locked in with this at first harmless looking raccoon. I know raccoons can be deadly but it was like a small cat and was so scared.

We have a separate house for them to sleep in. I would never be able to rest knowing that this baby can get through the cage. I almost had a heart attack.

Someone up there was looking down on us.

Denise

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

Boy that's for sure, how scary, glad everyone including you are okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: