1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We got 2 bottle babies!! Question on feeding

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CANDLE98, Apr 7, 2009.

1. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Okay so we just got 2 nubian bottle babies last night!! I am so excited but I have a question about feeding. They are 4 weeks old. How much milk should they get? We are giving them 12 oz 2 times a day. Is that enough or should they get more? Thanks! I know that I will have more questions.

2. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    What! No pictures?! [​IMG]

3. CANDLE98

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I know I am so sorry! I couldn't find my camera last night! I will take tons of pictures of my kids with the goat kids soon! They are sooo sweet!

4. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    My little guy by that time was taking at least 16 ounces X 3 times per day by 2 months he was taking almost 32 oz. per feeding X 2 a day he is 3 months old now and I am working towards weaning him.

5. CANDLE98

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    So do you just keep feeding them until they don't want anymore? I was worried because the little Doe's tummy got all bloated and full and she still wanted more! Little pigs!

6. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I dont let them have more than 20 oz a feeding and do individual bottle so I know who gets what and how much. I only feed up to the 20 ox limit. Sometimes the tummy dont connect to the brain to fast and they overeat if you let them as they are little piggys and will eat till they pop...

7. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Most of the time bottle babies will look bloated after eating. Not to worry, their tummies are like little hoses at that point, not terribly big and deep.

8. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    That doesn't sound like near enough! At 4 weeks old my nigerian dwarf kids are getting 10 oz 4 times a day. It's been 2 years since I've had a full sized kid, but I'm pretty sure they eat more then a mini. I generally feed all they want at each feeding, but a kid that has been limited is more likely to over eat.

If it was me, I'd feed them atleast 3 times a day, and probably work them up to atleast 15oz per feeding. Hard to say past that without knowing them.

9. Jolly_Rancher

Jolly_Rancher Out Of The Brooder

I have only had my bottle baby for 3 days and I have been winging it and now you all have me a little concerned, am I feeding him enough, too much, too often???
    So I could keep track I have been writing it down, yesterday his schedule was:
    7:30am 12oz
    9:45am 8oz
    noon 7oz
    3:00pm 6oz
    6:00pm 8oz
    10:00pm 8oz
    pretty much I was trying to keep him at every 2 hours, give or take.. I think he is just at a week old, I really don't think he even knew how to suckle when I got him.. He stops eating, pees poops (solid finally) then sleeps till next feeding.. although when sunny yesterday I took him out to play and he did a couple of clown flips.. LOL

[​IMG] check out the tazmainian devil on his nose.. lol

[​IMG]

10. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Quote:What breed is he? If it's a pygmy then I would say your feeding to much. I was doing that as well at first. Mine are 3.5 weeks and get 6 oz 4x a day. They are nibbling and chewing hay as well. I had a rough start with diarrhea but after everyones advice I switched to whole milk with 2cc's of pepto in it and now they are doing good and I'm getting goat berries [​IMG] [​IMG] Never thought I'd be so excited and yelling through the house "We got goat berries, we got goat berries" [​IMG] [​IMG]

He's a cutie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by