We got 2 more today... worried about attitudes?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vfem, Aug 27, 2008.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    We got 2 more black silkies today. They are just about 6+/- months. They look kind of skinny and lacking in fluff compared to our current ones. They are skiddish and flighty as they haven't been regularly handled before. They were just kept together in a coop/run with other black silkies. I chose the two with the prettier faces, and most feathers. (And they appeared to be younger then several others that were already laying.)

They are separated from ours for now. One had scratched up my arm pretty bad fighting and kicking for me to put her down. (The other was more calm while I held her, but not so if she was down.) My concern now is will I be able to break them? If I give them regular treats and attention each day will they calm some? Or do they have the mind set that people are bad and scary from now on?

2. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    my girls were the same way i found the best way to become their bestfriend is to buy a 12 pack of nightcrawlers from the local place who sells fishing bait and you will have yourself a few new friends! good luck

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    So glad my husband fishes! (Got some out with his tackle box) Going to try some of that.

Should I leave them in their pen area for awhile longer, or should I risk letting them out in the yard? I think they'd win in a race if I needed them back in.

4. carwinew

carwinew Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    We tamed chickens down with regular handling, treats and quiet voices. Vote for leaving them in their pen for a few days until they know where home base is and they have adapted to their new surroundings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by