We got a blue egg! ??? Sorry, it is green! =/

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rebecca10782, Feb 6, 2009.

1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    *update*I had not looked at it, my mom did. She told me it was blue. It is actually a pale seafoam green. I think she needs an eye exam =/
    We have a hen Stella, we got as a baby just because her patterning was so gorgeous. We thought that she could be part Black Star, but I wasn't expecting anything other than a white or tan egg. Today, we found her in the nest for the first time sitting on a blue egg! So she must be part EE. Her is a picture of her, what do she look like to you guys? She has very white earlobs that really stand out, doesn't have much of a comb, and seems to have Black Star patterning. She is a pretty small bird too. I couldn't get any good pictures of her. I will take some more and get a picture of the egg too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    I think she is beautiful. What an original color pattern, it's gorgeous. Odd that she got the blue egg, not green, but blue, but didn't get the muffs. Genetics are funny. I think you double lucked out, she is pretty and lays blue eggs.

3. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    and i have a bantie mix... with a single comb that lays blue eggs, too...

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Stellllllaaaaaaaa!

congrats! she's a pretty girl!

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

She's got a pea comb, so I'm saying easter egger! Congrats on the blue egg!

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    She has a pea comb(Black stars have single combs) so she's most likely an EE.

It's a common misconception that EE are a breed of sorts- such as expecting them to have green legs, beard/muffs. However, EE is not a breed so literally anything goes for them. Any color, any pattern, bearded or not bearded etc, etc.

The "rules" for colors/patterns are the same across all chicken breeds, it would be rather easy to cross certain EE to get the 'black star' pattern because that's all it is- a combination of certain color/pattern genes. (black stars are just a cross of a RIR rooster over BR hens. However you can get similar patterned hens from say, a red EE or even a RIR over a black EE hen)

7. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    Quote:If you are referring to me in the second part of your post, I have no misconception. I was only making a point that it was strange that she didn't get the muffs, but got a blue blue egg. B/c MOST EE's will have muffs. And obviously she is not a black star, b/c she lays blue eggs.[​IMG] So, her comb doesn't matter on that one.

8. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    What a very pretty girl! She looks quite peaceful and lovey. Ya Hooo on the blue egg! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. emandmikey

emandmikey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wake Forest, NC
    Yeah, she looks like an EE bantam to me... even though she doesn't have the muffs or tufts or whatever. Sometimes they don't get them. I would love to see a picture of the egg! Em

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If I had that hen, I put my Blue Ameraucana over her at some point in time. That would produce some lovely chicks.

She is beautiful. Can't wait to see the pic of the egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by