Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
4 so far! So of course now I have new thing to fret about.
barnie.gif
lau.gif

Will mama work out feeding on her own? Will she get them to the food or bring them food??

How much should I intervene or simply let her manage? She is in a safe brooder box, she has a waterer and food container. The feeder is baby friendly though I am not sure about the waterer. It is one I use when mama-less chicks are a couple of weeks old. Will mama protect them??

I have WHAT in my yard? :

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
4 so far! So of course now I have new thing to fret about.
barnie.gif
lau.gif

Will mama work out feeding on her own? Will she get them to the food or bring them food??

How much should I intervene or simply let her manage? She is in a safe brooder box, she has a waterer and food container. The feeder is baby friendly though I am not sure about the waterer. It is one I use when mama-less chicks are a couple of weeks old. Will mama protect them??

First of all, congratulations on the babies! javascript:insert_text('
love.gif
',%20'');
The waterer should be safe as long as it is not so deep that the chicks could fall in and drown. You also may want to make sure the chicks are drinking from the waterer. Try dipping their beaks in the water so they know to drink from it.​

I put a clean rock in the water bowl she seems to be keeping pretty good eye on her babies but has become somewhat less attentive of her remaining eggs!

She started this set 21 days ago today. First egg hatched two days ago, 3 more since, 6 still sitting. But, I keep finding her wandering around with her babies not on the eggs. Will she hatch the rest or is she saying 4 is enough!
big_smile.png
idunno.gif

I am sure some of them are non=starters, but 6 non fertile seems high. When do I pull them at the end of this week?? (28 days?)

If there are late eggs not hatched after a day I listen to see if I hear peeps if so give it another 1-2 days. If not I gently turn egg side to side to see if it has a slushy or solid sound/feel. You will notice slushy right away. Slushy I discard. I usually wait two days after the last hatched egg and then with regret discard because I want her to concentrate on her hatched chicks but I've just started hatching out eggs with my first rooster so maybe some one else has a different opinion.

Back
Top Bottom