We got ducks! Muscoveys!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katlovesaandw, Jan 30, 2011.

1. katlovesaandw

katlovesaandw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Well, we are now the proud owners of rescued ducks. We have 15 chickens and have wanted to do ducks but didnt want the mess and noise we have heard goes with them.
    Hubby's co-worker has chickens that she raises just for eggs and then they got these 2 ducks last Fall. She thinks that the chickens lack of laying lately is due to ducks and wanted to get rid of them. Found out they were Muscovey's, did our research and found they were perfect for us. No need for water/pond source, not loud, etc. etc. Ok, we will take them.
    Well, after going there to get them... glad we did. I feel like we saved them from a GROSS life. And if I knew she wouldnt go out and get more chickens..... I would have taken her chickens from her. They had food, water and ok living conditions but they live close together, artificial light only, etc.
    Image these ducks when they got here yesterday and had fresh air, sunshine, food and treats.....
    So far, they are Yin and Yang for the names.
    Our question is Yin seems to have something with her wings.
    I will enclose a pic. You can tuck them in neatly and she looks normal but as soon as she fluffs her wings.... these parts pop out. Hubby said it feels like skin/muscles are formed that way, hence the reason they keep popping back out.
    Any ideas? Will she live with it forever? It doesnt seem to affect her, just looks odd. Birth defect? Previous living conditions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on your new duckies... shes very very pretty... they are lucky you took them.
    She had Angel Wing.
    If part of a duckling's wing (or wings) start to grow out from their body instead of folding flat. As the primary feathers start coming in they turn out away from the body instead of folding in under the secondary feathers. It can be caused by excess protein but not everyone thinks that...
    If your ducklings are on a diet that has a protein content of more than 18%, apparently it is better to get them onto something in the 14% range to prevent it happening in the future. Just giving them less feed and more grass can help avoid the condition arising in a later batch of birds. Once the bird has angel wing, though, only taping can correct it!
    yours is to old to fix it now...
    If the problem is left, the duck will always have this part of the wing sticking right out from the body. It won't cause them pain and they can live a long life.

3. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    that's a nice duck. Now it's got a decent life, I'm sure they'll both be happy ducks.

Muscovys will thank you if you give them a pot of water that's deep enough to get their heads into. True that they don't need as much water as mallard based breeds but they do need to clear their nostrils.
    Good luck with the ducks, and enjoy the eggs. Muscovys lay the best eggs ever

4. katlovesaandw

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Thank you!!!
    I am glad she will be ok and can live with it.
    They got them in late Aug. and we assumed as ducklings at the State Fair. So they are approx. 6 months only but they are BIG! We didnt realize HOW big until we got there to get them. Poor things were packed in the dog crate we brought which usually holds 4-6 chickens!
    They havent had grass or veggies, just layer crumble and water their whole life with these people.
    If she didnt work with hubby, I would probably make a complaint but then I also do not think they would change. They got chickens to raise for eggs to sell. No names on chickens, she doesnt know what kinds she has, etc.
    We have 15 chickens, all handpicked for the most part... though chicken friends have given us a couple because we have a HUGE city lot and room to take them.
    We give them layer pellets, corn and mixed grain scratch, they free roam the fenced lot several days a week so have grass and bugs PLUS they get kitchen scraps because I run a daycare and we have lots of leftovers. My chickens are fat(but not too fat) and happy, very glossy feathers, etc. I am hoping that these ducks will get better feathers soon.
    They are filthy right now. We are trying to find something to put water in to give them a bath. Nothing is large enough right now and wrong time of year to find a kiddie pool. I am tempted to empty out the daycare sandbox at this point. I know they are not big bather ducks but their feathers are YUCK due to lack of care.
    I feel sorry for her that this was something that could have been fixed when she(we are assuming both are females, no eggs yet from either while living with other people) was young, but glad to know it is something she can live a long life with.

5. katlovesaandw

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Cool on the deep bucket for water. We use 4 gal. buckets for the chicken water, so the ducks will get the same and share space. They lived with the chickens at the other place so I figure they should do good here with our bratty girls.
    We will be getting a kiddie pool or something for them to use on occasion once weather warms.
    I read that they shouldnt get into a pool during winter as they get soaked easier due to less oils on their feathers and can get cold?
    Is this right?
    I would love to bathe them right now just because they are crusty due to past living conditions, but they are BIG.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The size & tail of that duck makes me think it's a boy but it doesn't have as much caruncles(mask) as i would expect, how old is she?

I am VERY glad you got them from the icky place they were living! I rescued a group of Muscovies over a year ago and they were in bad shape. Black Oil Sunflower Seeds will help with their feather quality & they usually arent too expensive(i think Wal-Mart sells them too).

Her mask looks pretty pale, poor baby, good greens & sunlight will help brighten their faces up. Corn,in large amounts, will make a Muscovy fat but I don't think they will mind. Free ranging does them LOADS of good as far as weight goes and mine usually prefer grazing the yard over eating their grain.

you can buy rubber feed tubs at the feed store that work well for bathing, they're small but will work until you can get a kiddie pool or something better. I think they're around $15 or so but last FOREVER. Also, I have 1 tub that's a plastic rain barrel cut in half, it's plenty big enough and you can just prop it up with a cinderblock on either side, that also gives them a step to get in & out too.

good luck with your new "babies" [​IMG]

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Quote:They will get wet but should be fine as long as they have plenty of bedding to go lay down & preen in. Mine did pretty well this winter with the exception of an old boy i adopted, he shivered a bit & i felt bad & gave him a heat light. [​IMG] he probably would have been fine without it though.

8. katlovesaandw

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    I assume(and we know what that means) that they are about 6 mo. old. She said she got them at the State Fair in late Aug. and hubby and I assumed as babies. He will ask her tom. how big they were when they got them.
    The one with the Angel wing is larger than the other, much more friendly but the head is darker. While the other is smaller, more timid and has a bit more white on its head.
    The males I saw online had VERY white heads.
    They never laid eggs for her, so we will see.
    Yep, their faces are VERY pale. So were her chickens. It was sad. Our girls look like they have blood on their heads because their combs and wattles are SO red.

Thanks for the Black Sunflower seed tip! I will some of those for them!
    They are fat already, probably because all the did was eat and move around with 100 chickens in a small area.
    Here they will be spoiled, I can guarantee that!LOL

Good idea on the rubber water thing! And the water barrel!! We have those(the rain barrel!) guess what hubby is going to be doing this afternoon!LOL

I will go out and try to get better pics of both of them, see what you guys think on sex of them. I dont care, they are very sweet and I want them to be happy so if they are boy/girl or girl/girl or boy/boy and we never get eggs....oh well. They are very cool!

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

If the other is smaller them you may have a pair. color doesn't have anything to do with sex but on males, the feet will be bigger, the tails will be broader & they'll have more caruncling. Females will have a pointy tail & smaller feet. He looks like he's maybe around a year old, my 9mo old drake is just losing his feathers & growing in his caruncles.

Even if it's just boys they should be fine together, last year I rehomed 3 drakelets to a family and they still have them. They never added any hens but they boys do very well together in their little bachelor flock.

10. katlovesaandw

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    CRAZY LADY FOLLOWING US!!!
    I am sure that is what these poor guys were saying as I am trying to get them to pose together, get their feet together, etc. with the camera!LOL
    Ok, the angel wing one is larger, its feet do seem larger(pic below) and it is the one that stands up when we come into the yard, etc. but it is also the friendlier one but does make a hissing, wheeze when it sees something it finds that it doesnt like. Didnt like the camera at one point. Do not know if both sexes hiss/wheeze when threatened.

Here are their feet. Angel Wing on L, other on R.
    [​IMG]

Here is other duck, tried to get tail and body size and face as best as it would let me
    [​IMG]

Here are 2 pics of them next to each other
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Side view of other duck
    [​IMG]

Upclose of Angel Wing(larger) duck face
    [​IMG]

Here is other ducks face
    [​IMG]

Opinions? Is there any way to tell sex other than just wait and see if anyone lays an egg? LOL I mean with the chickens we had spurs and then crows to id a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by