We got eggs!

Jul 22, 2021
Came out today and found 1 egg outside in the dirt and 1 egg in the nesting box and thought 1 was from yesterday and 1 from today cause I didn't check yesterday, it was raining and they had plenty of food and water and I didn't want to go sloshing through the mud for nothing. Then while I was out there I noticed 1 girl wasn't out and a few minutes later the egg song starts and out she came from laying a 3rd egg in the box. Didn't think I'd get any eggs this year as the days are shortening and surprise. They all look the same, I'm just not sure if they all came from the same pullet or if more than 1 started laying? It was the blue orpington that I saw lay the 3rd egg, the other 3 within laying age are speckled sussex but I'm not sure of there would be a noticeable difference in color between them since they all lay tan eggs. Here's a picture of the first 2, I'm so excited😄
20211211_083556.jpg

I've seen 1 of the speckled girls lay, her eggs are a lighter cream color so I think all these darker tan eggs are from Blue. I've noticed this week Blue laid 5 days in a row and nothing for today and the speckled girl lays every other day. When the speckled girl was ready to lay her first egg, the oldest cockerel walked in the coop with her and stood outside the nesting box for 2 hrs waiting for her and he would periodically sing the egg song. I'm not sure if he'll do that with all of them or if she's his favorite. It's fascinating watching the changes in their interactions just from starting to lay.

Back
Top Bottom