WE GOT EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sherrihargrove, Nov 7, 2014.

1. sherrihargrove

sherrihargrove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2014
    Both of my hens decided to start laying today. I got so excited I dropped the first egg. I t was perfect too.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] Congrats !! first one of many. seems to me like that is a big chicken problem. at least you dropped your, mine crushed in my hand !

3. andreanar

andreanar Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Oooh congrats! Can't wait for mine.

4. debbieducker

debbieducker Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    Rotherham
    Congratulations[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. debbieducker

Nov 1, 2014
    Rotherham
    Well after a full week of laying small brown eggs every day on sunday I went to collect bubbles daily rent and whilst the egg was still small it had a white patch as though not enough pigment in her shell. So decided to research this as been very new to chicken keeping and concluded it's probably due to her being new to laying and she could have been stressed due to very loud bangs from the fireworks on Saturday night. However I've gone out at 7 am this morning before i left for work and found a lovely full brown egg that's double the size she normally lays. Is this due to her just getting in her stride with being young and has anyone else experienced this ????. Bubbles is a ISA warren.

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Congrats on getting your 1st eggs! The eggs do get a little bigger as the girls hit their stride so seems to me all is well. We have 3 Red Sex Links in our mixed flock (another name for your Warren) and they are wonderful layers of big brown eggs, they rarely miss a day. Love them!

7. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    Congrats on the eggs! Sorry, but I got a good chuckle out of you being so excited you dropped one [​IMG]
    My current flock just started laying 10/31, so far just a few of the leghorns are laying. We did get a really big double yolk egg on Saturday, I've been having issues with them not utilizing the boxes so I was hanging out observing. She made a loud squawk and made a big ruckus leaving the box then the coop. When I picked up the egg I think I made the same expression she had - [​IMG]They are slightly increasing from the small pullet eggs. It's been my experience that in the first several months that they lay I notice many more of the jumbo double or sometimes even triple yolkers!

8. debbieducker

Nov 1, 2014
    Rotherham
    I've just 1 out of my 3 laying but today was equivalent to 3 lol. Never heard the egg song as when I let them out between 6 and 7 am she's already laid. I'm sure there must have been some noise parting with todays[​IMG][​IMG]

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    WOW [​IMG] that's some egg, lol.

10. debbieducker

Nov 1, 2014
    Rotherham
    It sure is lol. Just need the other 2 to follow her now and start laying. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by