We got it!! We got our first goose egg!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DawnB, Feb 9, 2013.

1. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Not only did we get our first egg, but my son got surprised and got to collect it today (he was SO excited!!). [​IMG]

So, my next question is ... at what outside temp will it be safe to allow her to start brooding her own eggs? It was -9F last night. I don't expect it to warm up for some time.

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He does look proud. Another thing you have to realize is just because she laid her first egg doesn't mean she will want to brood. My goose has laid 5 eggs so far and isn't the least bit interested in sitting, Plus your temps that is extremely cold. there are those on here that live in the temps you do hopefully they will weigh in on broody at this time of year. I live mid south and wouldn't want my goose brooding this time of year nor my ducks or chickens. matter of fact i would discourage it if they wanted to. Congrats on the egg though it's sure pretty.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great picture. You may want to mark and leave one egg as a nest egg. If you want her to brood, collect all subsequent eggs as she lays them. Keep them at moderate temperature and humidity and turn at least once daily. When/if she goes broody return the eggs to her.

4. DawnB

Thanks guys...Yeah, don't know if she will go broody, but she was certainly not too happy when Q took her egg. She didn't get overly aggressive with him...but just honked around. We'll keep an eye on her, but I really don't want her to go broody until at least June around here (end of May at the earliest).

But, if she wants to, we'll let her...may have to modify the setup for the goose house a bit if she does, just to predator-proof it better. We'll see. But Quentin was SO excited. Every time he walks into the kitchen he picks it up and holds it and grins. [​IMG]

5. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Congratulations!!! [​IMG]

6. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Congrads on you very first egg!!!!! In cold temps it is best to just take the eggs away and just leave one. It is too cold for any goose to even go broody.
    The better time to let them sit and hatch their eggs is in March or so. I have been taking all the eggs away for right now and checking the for fertility. Our one goose Sarina starts laying in November but non have been fertile because do not believe I have seen any of our ganders breed her yet.
    But the ganders are fighting now and breeding on certain females have begun.
    So more into this month I will bring some in to start incubating but not until all most the end of the month.

7. DawnB

Thanks RURU! And I have a question...why would you leave 1 egg? I have no problem doing it....just wondering how easily goose eggs freeze and/or crack. I really don't want a mess in my coop (she's in with my chickens right now.)

8. melina90

melina90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Ringerike, Norway
    I let my chickens brood in the winter if they want to, and up here the temps get really cold. I can't really say anything about geese cause I don't have any (yet). But at least with chickens my experience is that a mama hen will be able to take good care of her babies even in winter. The only thing I have to worry about is to make sure the water doesnt freeze, as little chicks get easily dehydrated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by