We got Meat Rabbits!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jenlyn9483, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    OK so most of you know that I raise quail, Turkeys, ducks, chickens and now a hog for meat for our family. Well the chickens are for eggs, and my amusement too:). Well we are one week away from processing the hog. I can't wait to turn the hog pen into a tomatoe patch! My dad's neighbor is a meat rabbit breeder and he offers already dressed rabbits for $8 a peice. Well between our house and my dads we have been keeping him in great business. After fiance found out how awesome rabbit meat is I got the go ahead to get some of our own and raise them. I have lots of experience wtih rabbits. We raised them on our farm growing up. I also raised them when I got older and bred them for pets. So this seemed like a no brainer to me. Last weekend dad informs me Rabbit guy has two litters of rabbits that are ready to go. They are from two totally different pairs and non are related. Well Dad has decided its a good idea to breed his own also. So Step mom did her best to pick us out two pairs. I ended up with two does. It was OK though, the more the marrier. So I put an add on Craigslist to find a nice large breed meat type buck to go with them. A nice lady responded that raises meat rabbits also. She advised that she had 6 week old CalifornianX buck from her last litter and would be happy to trade him for 5 of my 6 week old layer pullets. DONE DEAL! So now I have 2 does and 1 buck. Can't wait til this summer when I can start breeding babies!

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Good luck to you. Local food is better food. I always envy people who have the fortitude to process their own.

3. Jenlyn9483

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yes homegrown meat is the VERY best.

Anyone near FL raise meat rabbits? I want to know who I can network with or ask advice or support if any needed.

4. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Quote:Just started out. My buck may be a little young, he's not doing his part yet. [​IMG] I've got two NZ X FL whites. I'm just starting with th eone doe, but I'll probably add another in a while.

Swamp

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Anyone near FL raise meat rabbits? I want to know who I can network with or ask advice or support if any needed.

You can always netwrok here! Rabbit breeding is not that popular, and it is good to have a network of experienced people for support. There are a few of us here who breed rabbits for meat.

Tonight--I am outting one of my ladies in with the gent for a romantic interlude.​

6. Jenlyn9483

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Swamp roo, I read for Best results with new bucks to wait til they are around 6 months old for that size rabbits.

7. Jenlyn9483

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Miss_the north, what kind or rabbits do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by