We Got One! *PICS*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Whitewater, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Whitewater

Whitewater Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    (Extra points to anybody who knows which movie the line in my title is from!)

Yes, that's right ladies and gents, we got our first egg today! Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

Yes, whichever pullet laid, laid her egg right in the run! Here's a picture of where the egg was when I discovered it:

[​IMG]

It's funny, today I left the house at 1:50pm in order to do an errand. My husband is off on vacation right now, so when he got up this morning to let the dogs out he checked on the chickens. No egg, business as usual. I go to tell him I'm leaving (he was mowing the lawn) at 1:50, I check on the chickens, sort of reflexively, no egg. I shrug. Another egg less day.

I come home at 2:45, drop off my purse and so on in the house, go get my gardening stuff because there are some ripe tomatoes I need to bring in, and I look at the chickens when I pass by the coop on the way to the garden.

OMG! OMG! I run back to the house and fling open the side door and yell to Hubby "We have an egg! We have an egg!" He says "We do? Where is it?" and I say, "In the run, come see!" So I get my camera and since he was in the middle of showering after mowing, he finishes his shower and runs out to the back yard in just his shorts, LOL.

Our chickens, meanwhile, are standing at the door to their run going "Come ON, let us OUT, we need to get those bugs!!!" like they didn't think anything of their achievement.

It was a good day [​IMG]

Our first egg is small, half the size of a regular large store egg, as seen in this picture:

[​IMG]

But its goodness is undoubtedly there, look at the color of that yolk, compared to the store bought egg!

[​IMG]

And finally, I don't know which pullet laid the egg, but all three of them look like they could have been the one:

[​IMG]

We're so pleased it finally happened. I think it was probably the 20.5 week old Black Australorp or the 20.5 week old Black Sex Link (to the right in their group shot). I don't think it was the 19.5 week old Australorp (the biggest pullet in the picture), but then again, you never know. My gut right now is leaning towards the 20.5 week old Australorp. Our egg looks like an Australorp color (save for the white flecks!) and Hestia was the one that matured the earliest.

Whitewater

2. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG]

Congrats!!! I still get giddy with each egg.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    awesome! If they are all the same age expect to be getting 3 a day very soon!

4. Zuesdude

Zuesdude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    OH
    Yes my lady's still drop 1 or 2 eggs a month in the run

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  5. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    I'm still waiting and envious of you. Not just for the egg but the tomato too.

6. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    congrats on the 1st egg. it looks the same size & color as our first egg yesterday from our BSLs

7. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    We have gotten about 15 eggs so far and I get just as excited as the first!

8. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Beautiful egg!!

9. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Congrats!!!!

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Congrats!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Don't you just love it?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by