1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We got our Chicks today!!!! ...1 Q tho...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CountryCentinel, Nov 9, 2011.

1. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    So we got our girls in today!

They are awesome, they are all drinking and eating and sleeping and all over the place...

BUT, we also received our one special exotic chick, that actually turns out to be a huge chick, and it is kinda dominating the others, most concern is it seems to be chasing the others around and pecking at their eyes...?!?!?

Should I be concerned, give it a time out? LOL!

Please advise, thx!

2. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    I'm very caught up with the CMA awards right now so I will make this quick!!

I wouldn't be worried, likely just gonna be your little chick who is on top of the pecking order. Maybe as nature may have it, he will grow faster than the other but not end up as large, then will be on the bottom of the pecking order. Its fun to watch how nature works these things out!!

3. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    Okay, I just thought maybe since he/she was a different breed of chicken altogether, perhaps it was a tad older or more aggressive, it sure is a giant compared to the others...

CMA is fun huh! ;-)

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    He may be a day or so older. Dont worry bc the kids will all be growing any second now ......[​IMG] and you will not stop them [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Yeah.. Just be sure to use red lighting so not to encourage his pecking...

Pics?

6. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I always have a couple that seem to peck everyone else's eyes and pull their toes to the point of making them squeal. I tell them off, but they just carry on lol. They soon grow out of it. I think it's just instinct.

7. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Try the red heat lamp if you're not already doing that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by