WE GOT OUR FIRST EGG...can we eat it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewHen, Jul 7, 2010.

1. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I was VERY SURPRISED to see that we had our first egg today but these chickens had access to medicated chick starter about a week ago. Can we eat that egg?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I did. If you're really worried about it check the tag on the starter you were using. Most have amprolium (sp) in them and not antibiotics. The amprolium is just a thiamine blocker to help keep cocci levels below critical mass. First eggs are nummy, congrats!

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'd be interested to know how old your chicks are (and what kind laid the egg) since you were surprised. I'm raising my first ones but I believe they are a ways off yet. Thanks. And CONGRATS! [​IMG]

4. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

of course you can eat it!!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    First eggs are the best! Enjoy your breakfast!

6. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yay Chicks! :

I'd be interested to know how old your chicks are (and what kind laid the egg) since you were surprised. I'm raising my first ones but I believe they are a ways off yet. Thanks. And CONGRATS! [​IMG]

The oldest chickens (sex link, light brahma, australorp, and BO) hatched in mid/late March 2010 and I wasn't even looking for eggs yet. I'm pretty sure it was from the sex link. She's the most mature looking of the birds.

I ate our egg this morning. It was perfectly shaped though small. It had a yellowish orange yolk, darker than the ones from the farmer's market. Very exciting to eat a $3000 egg.​

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Haha. Now the rest of the eggs are free!
    That does seem early! How fun [​IMG]

8. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I ate my first egg even though mine had access to medicated feed! (With amprolium)

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

Got my first eggs last weekend - and my birds probably hatched in early or mid- february, which would make them 18 to 20 weeks old on July 3rd? They were small but had feathers when I got them on March 2nd. I've been waiting to eat my eggs til my granddaughter shows up. I decided they were roosters with the fancy headgear they put on last week. I found 4 eggs Saturday evening, figure they were $75 each. I seem to get 2 eggs in the morning, and 2 eggs in the afternoon, based on yesterday's output. But our heatwave broke last Friday too. Figure that helped.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  10. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Quote:[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by