We got our first egg ever today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jonaeselaye, Nov 17, 2018.

1. jonaeselaye

jonaeselaye Songster

Nov 3, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    Very excited that one of our three silkies has finally started laying :love

We got our silkies 2 months ago, we stopped by a pet store on the way home and the owner happened to own heaps of chickens. She said that getting your first egg is almost as exciting as giving birth so we have been checking their coop and enclosure 5-10 times a day for eggs ever since but never saw anything.

One of our other chickens (an isa brown) is very ill and was recently hospitalised for 2 nights (the vet checked all our chickens and believes that thankfully, only this hen was affected). She racked up a very expensive vet bill so getting our first egg from our silkies was very exciting after an extremely stressful weekend :lol:
    silkie egg.jpg

2. tripletfeb

tripletfeb Songster

Congrats! Getting the first egg is like Christmas morning! Hope your hen gets better soon

jonaeselaye, Chick-N-Fun and N F C like this.
  3. DeanneG

DeanneG Chirping

Nov 16, 2018
    Adelaide
    It is so exciting isn't it!! we had our first last week after having the girls only 5 days.. so we were surprosed ... we were told probably 2 weeks before they layed .. and we have had an egg a day since then ... It makes you look at eggs in a different way hey! Instead of off the supermarket shelf you see it like the miracle they are ..
    and hey for those who want a yummy way to eat more eggs here's a recipe for snickerdoodle crepes... a great way to use up eggs
    6 eggs
    5 oz Philadelphia cream cheese ( softened)
    1 tsp cinnamon

sweeten ( with sugar)if you want - I used 1 Tblsp granulated erythritol
    use a stick blender..
    It makes a thin batter - pour into fry pan & cook then enjoy with your topping

4. cinalee

cinalee Chirping

Jul 24, 2018
    Sicamous, BC
    Congratulations! Waiting for my first and know I'll be sharing the news when it happens!:frow:wee:wee:thumbsup:woot:yesss:

5. Stepnout

Stepnout Songster

May 6, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Yey love those first eggs and everyone after:love

6. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    Yes getting the first egg is a nice feeling, funny you can go to the shops and get dozens of them but one from one of your chickens seems extra special.
    I remember when I got the first egg and like many more I took a picture of it.

7. Perris

Perris Songster

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    very happy for you @jonaeselaye :ya It's a great day when they start laying :celebrate
    A 2 month wait is not bad though - I'm still waiting on a couple of girls I picked up as 8 week olds in May! :pop:rolleyes: (and yes, they're definitely hens; possibly lemons, but definitely hens)

8. N F C

N F C no time like snow time

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    smiley congrats.gif

That first egg is like a miracle! (And the ones after that are pretty nice too ;))

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  9. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Happy Holidays to all my BYC Peeps!

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Congratulations! :ya First Egg Day always feels like a holiday! Enjoy! :wee

Stepnout and N F C like this.
  10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    :wee:yesss::wee

N F C likes this.
  11. jonaeselaye

jonaeselaye Songster

Nov 3, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you :) She is home now on antibiotics and pain meds and seems to be recovering well.

Thank sounds amazing :D Will definitely try it when we get more eggs

Ooh I can't wait :D What type of hens do you have?

Yes it has definitely changed the way I look at eggs

Ohh wow hopefully they start laying soon :) I probably shouldn't have picked silkies if I wanted eggs quickly haha I have heard they are considered lazy layers

N F C likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: