We got our first egg this morning, now question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jossanne, Jul 22, 2008.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    We've got 3 groups of chickens - one 16 weeks, one 5 weeks, and one 10 days old. One of my older pullets laid her first egg today, and we're obviously excited. But... they've had a little bit of the starter feed medicated for coccidiosis. When we were cleaning the cage for the 5wk babies (which is inside the big coop) their feed got dumped on the floor of the hen house, and the older pullets ate it. Does this make the egg unsafe to eat?

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I wouldn't eat it if I were you. I'm very leery of any of those medications that they use, and although they may claim to be 'okay' for human consumption does not mean that they really are. Okay for human consumption pretty much means it won't kill you on the spot. You should blow the egg out (poke two little holes, one on the top and one on the bottom, then blow through the top hole to make the egg contents come out so you can save the shell!) and cook the egg to feed back to the hens. At least that's what I'd do!!! Was it a big egg or a little egg???

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    A cute little egg. Feeding it back to the hens is a great idea, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by