We got our first egg today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ptig78d, Nov 8, 2008.

1. ptig78d

ptig78d Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Bucksport, ME
    Good evening, all! We finally got our first egg this afternoon! It was one of the BR mix hens.
    I went into the enclosure and was checking on the water and food levels and lifted the flap of cloth covering the nesting box...and Alice (the BR mix hen) went into investigate, I thought. She was in there scratching around, moving the hay.....well, when I came back with the food and water, she was still in there scratching around. I sat down on a stool I brought, and watched the chickens. Well, eventually Alice came out of the nesting box and went down and got some water out of the feeder.
    I went into the box to get the two plastic easter eggs I'd put in there as decoys....and found one lovely, warm egg!

Here's the weird thing......last night, I had a dream about our chickens laying eggs.....one was broken and they'd eaten it, but there was one that was still whole.
    I guess Gaia was sending me a message.....it was time!

I took a picture of it...but still have to upload it to the computer. I'll post it tomorrow on the First Egg pics topic.
    Have a great night, everyone!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats on your first egg! [​IMG]

3. HenniePennie

HenniePennie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Oregon
    Yea!! There is nothing more exciting than your first egg!! It's kinda like finding out you are gonna be a grandmother.
    I even had a bit of a problem eating my girl's first eggs.....silly me

It's party time!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first egg [​IMG]

5. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST EGG!!!!!!!!
    ALWAYS A GREAT MOMENT.
    Blow it out and keep it. Makes a great trophy for all the fun and exciting work that went into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by