We got our first egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kocho, Aug 12, 2014.

1. kocho

kocho Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2014
    We got our first egg yesterday!! We got home from work and my son went to tend the chickens while I changed. I got scared when I heard him scream. But he was yelling "we got our first egg!!" We bought 6 white rocks a few weeks before Easter.

2. bobshere

bobshere Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG] It's always so exciting getting that first egg!!

4. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    Congrats!!

5. katjames

katjames New Egg

Jun 12, 2014
    We got our first eggs over the last few days!! I had been waiting and checking every few days. I went about four or five days and didn't look and yesterday found 4 small light brown eggs. They look like Silkie eggs but I have no Silkies lol. One of the eggs this morning was on the floor of the coop instead of the nesting box and it was very light color and very, very, soft and pliable. Can someone please tell me why that would be? They all look like they came from the same hen, although i'm not sure which girl is laying. Thanks for any help.

6. kocho

kocho Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2014
    I think that can happen sometimes especially with a first time layer. What kind of chickens do you have? Our egg is small and light brown as well. We haven't gotten any mor eggs yet.

7. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    New layers can lay weird eggs when they're just starting out. Their systems are just now kicking into gear and soft-shells and even no shells can occur. Do you give them oyster shell on the side to help produce nice hard shells? And what breed are your girls?

8. kocho

kocho Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2014
    We're up to 6 eggs now. Got 3 yesterday. My kids ate all 6 today. The first egg was larger then the rest and ended up having a double yolk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by