WE GOT OUR FIRST EGGS!!! Are they always going to be this size?

xGovna

Chirping
Jan 24, 2019
Cincinnati Ohio
I posted a while back about how my girlfriend surprised me with chickens. It's been fun raising them and I almost forgot about the eggs lol I went outside today to check on them because they were being very loud and BAM

4 eggs, one for each hen ( I assume ) not one was in the nesting box, though. I read that maybe I should put golf balls in the nesting box? What do you guys think

My other question is will the eggs always be the size they are now? Not that I really care but one is about double the size of the other 3. I'm assuming it's my black australorp laying the larger one. The other three are an easter egger, buff brahma, and a buff orpington. It's hard to tell by this photo but the three eggs are very small

Regardless, we are so so excited for our first eggs. Thank you guys for help along the way.

CHICKEN EGGS.jpg our chickens.jpg

I would definitely recommend putting some golf balls or ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes. They have helped me a ton!
They will get much bigger. Your girls are still young, so they are small.
The large egg may be a double yolker ;)
Also, is there any way you could have missed seeing a couple eggs yesterday? Those look like them may have been laid by 2 girls. I could be wrong about that though :)

Congratulations!!!!! Egg day is the best! Because your girls are just getting started, some eggs will be small and gradually get a bit bigger. Some will shock you with how big they are. These are more than likely double yolkers! Always fun to find! This a good time to make sure you are feeding a quality layer feed and giving them oyster shell freely to help with making hard shells. Oh what a fun time for you! That loud commotion you heard was likely the egg song. Congrats :hugs

I would definitely recommend putting some golf balls or ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes. They have helped me a ton!
They will get much bigger. Your girls are still young, so they are small.
The large egg may be a double yolker ;)
Also, is there any way you could have missed seeing a couple eggs yesterday? Those look like them may have been laid by 2 girls. I could be wrong about that though :)
Maybe I did miss the eggs yesterday?? Are you saying this because of the shading is the same on the each of the couple? Two of my hens, the easter egger and buff brahma, don't have fully developed combs (I think) so I was surprised they had laid. My girlfriend and I are so excited we are having eggs for dinner lol So I'll find out if it has a double yolk!

Congratulations!!!!! Egg day is the best! Because your girls are just getting started, some eggs will be small and gradually get a bit bigger. Some will shock you with how big they are. These are more than likely double yolkers! Always fun to find! This a good time to make sure you are feeding a quality layer feed and giving them oyster shell freely to help with making hard shells. Oh what a fun time for you! That loud commotion you heard was likely the egg song. Congrats :hugs
Also, now keep your used egg shells. I feed them back to my 4 once a week. Smash them up on a pizza pan or cookie tin. Put them in the oven at 350F and bake for 5 mins. Watch them closely they will burn. Then I put them in a small grinder like for onions or nut and grind them to a fairly fine powder. Put them on their breakfast food. Cheap source of Ca++.... Good luck. My buff orpington lays the larges egg. Close to 70 grams. I have a small kitchen scale. I weigh every egg. Good luck. Once one start laying in the nest box the others will follow. My BO and ISABrown were already with me and when I got my 2 SLW they started right out laying in the box. Yesterday I was talking over the fence to my neighbor and I noticed one of my SLW was nowhere to be found. Free ranging and they all 4 stay pretty much together. I called to her and then I heard that " noise" and found her in the nest in the coop. Just as I opened the door I heard the "plop" And there were two eggs in their. The other SLW had come "home" and laid an egg. They went back outside after they were done. Smart birds.

Thank you!! Is there a particular feed you recommend? I had some layer feed stocked up I got from a local feed store it seemed to be all they had for sale. I'm not sure about the quality or brand but it was about $11 for a 50lb bag. I'm assuming this feed store also has oyster shell? I will call today and pick some up!

Also, now keep your used egg shells. I feed them back to my 4 once a week. Smash them up on a pizza pan or cookie tin. Put them in the oven at 350F and bake for 5 mins. Watch them closely they will burn. Then I put them in a small grinder like for onions or nut and grind them to a fairly fine powder. Put them on their breakfast food. Cheap source of Ca++.... Good luck. My buff orpington lays the larges egg. Close to 70 grams. I have a small kitchen scale. I weigh every egg. Good luck. Once one start laying in the nest box the others will follow. My BO and ISABrown were already with me and when I got my 2 SLW they started right out laying in the box. Yesterday I was talking over the fence to my neighbor and I noticed one of my SLW was nowhere to be found. Free ranging and they all 4 stay pretty much together. I called to her and then I heard that " noise" and found her in the nest in the coop. Just as I opened the door I heard the "plop" And there were two eggs in their. The other SLW had come "home" and laid an egg. They went back outside after they were done. Smart birds.
Oh thank you!! I will definitely do that with the egg shells, seems weird but I'm taking your word for it! lol And I've noticed, they are deceivingly smart.

Oh thank you!! I will definitely do that with the egg shells, seems weird but I'm taking your word for it! lol And I've noticed, they are deceivingly smart.
Not weird at all, a lot of people do that as well, I just don’t have time and by the oyster shell. Also for layer feed, I use Dumor. Seems to get the job done!

Maybe I did miss the eggs yesterday?? Are you saying this because of the shading is the same on the each of the couple? Two of my hens, the easter egger and buff brahma, don't have fully developed combs (I think) so I was surprised they had laid. My girlfriend and I are so excited we are having eggs for dinner lol So I'll find out if it has a double yolk!
Yes, I was saying that because two looked very similar and the other two looked similar as well. I have no clue if that was right or not, just an observation :)

Back
Top Bottom