We got our first eggs this week!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ingv8700, Oct 31, 2008.

1. ingv8700

ingv8700 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    I don't think I have been more excited to see this happen. We got 1 egg one day, then 2, now we are up to 3 eggs a day. We are getting 2 eggs in one nest, is it possible for 1 chicken to lay twice, or could it be 2 chickens in one nest?

We caught one of our girls today laying in her bucket, she laid there yesterday too, so we left her alone, and about 20 minutes later all the other chickens were outside and got quite and then they started talking back and forth to the hen in the house, here she comes outside and we checked, there she left us another surprise, 1 more egg.

We have a total of 12 laying hens, will they all start laying soon, getting the hang of it, or does it take a little bit? The eggs are smaller, each one has their own color too it. They are all about 22 weeks old.

Thanks!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It's still exciting each day when I check nest boxes!

It takes a chicken 24-26 hours to make an egg. They often do use the same nest box. I've collected as many as 7 eggs from one nest box in a day. I work full time, and collecting eggs is the first thing I do when I get home. It always amazes me that none are broken when there are that many in one box!

They will start when they are ready. I've had some that started at 24 weeks, and others that waited until 32+ weeks. Seems like the ones that wait longer to start end up laying larger eggs in the long run; at least, that's what I've found.

[​IMG] and enjoy your birds!!

3. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    What breed are you chickens that just started laying? I'm still waiting for my first eggs and my oldest were hatched in April. I figured given the light change and the cold I won't have eggs until spring.

Congratulations!

4. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] Congrats! They will lay in the same boxes. I have 4 nest boxes for my 13 girls, the other day there were 5 eggs in one box and six in the one below it. Other days there's some in each. I wish I had a coop cam [​IMG]

5. ingv8700

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    We were talking about putting a camera in there, wouldn't that be neat to watch them. We have 12, I believe they are called Red Stars, not really sure, they are brown [​IMG] and we have 3 Polish chickens, 1 hen and 2 roosters.

This is our first time to do egg layers, we did meat chickens last year, and decided to try egg layers this year, so we did 48 meats, and 12 egg layers, and 3 Polish. I am very anxious to see what the Polish hen is going to give us. Someone said that they are really hard to get eggs from. She is a loner, doesn't hang with any of the other chickens, and they tend to pick on her, but she is way to pretty to get rid of as are the roosters.

6. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    How exciting, congrats!

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first eggs [​IMG]

8. ingv8700

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    Just went out this morning. We went from 3 eggs to 6 in a day! Wow, you go girls. I had 4 eggs in one nest, 2 of them which were really dirty, poop all over them, and the other 2 were clean as a wistle. I wonder if I have a really dirty chicken laying in there now.

I am getting one egg, every day, that has white speckles all over it. can anyone tell me what this is about? All the other eggs are a nice, pretty brown. Just wondering what the difference is.

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] CONGRATS on your eggs!!!! That's terriffic!

10. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I just got my first egg today. I think its from my new salmon faverolle hen!!! It seems as though I'm the only one in my home excited by this news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by