We got our pigs!!! Heres a couple of pics!! <3

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by baldie, Nov 8, 2009.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I posted recently that we were gonna get a couple of pigs, well WE DID IT!!! [​IMG] They are adorable!! They are very scared so far. Any help on how to get them to be less afraid would be great. We got to see the mom and dad, the dad is 700lbs and is only a year and a half old!!! [​IMG] I hope you enjoy the pics!! They are 7 weeks old. I picked the runt of the litter. I have a "thing" for the runts. [​IMG] They are both females!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    They're so cute! I'd get one.... but only if they stayed that size. 700 pounds is a bit much for me. [​IMG]

3. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    Are you going to raise them to eat? I've thought about getting a couple little piglets in the spring, raise them into the fall, then have them butchered. I've not raised pigs before, but I've been told they can get to market weight (240 lbs) in that time, before the winter sets in.

4. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Hello, actually...we just got them for pets. I doubt I could ever eat it or kill them. [​IMG] I am pathetic. The DH got meat birds and guess what??? They are still here. LOL...so much for meat birds. [​IMG]

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

6. hen-thusiast

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    How much food does a 700 pound 1 and a half year old pig eat? Maybe I shouldn't ask. [​IMG]

7. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Not sure. We have the whole family and neighborhood saving their leftovers. [​IMG] I will let you know when we get there. [​IMG] No-one has any ideas on how to tame these lil girls??

8. hen-thusiast

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:Does it matter? If they grow to 700 pounds I'd imagine they'll do whatever the heck they want. [​IMG]

9. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    [​IMG] Ha, ha...that is the whole point!! [​IMG] I need them friendly BEFORE then. [​IMG]

10. hen-thusiast

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:Maybe you should train them to sit in your lap. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by