We got our very first egg today! (With a picture!)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HouseMouseHens, Mar 3, 2013.

1. HouseMouseHens

HouseMouseHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    Our girls are all between 30 and 34 weeks old. So we've been wondering when the heck we were going to get some eggs. We just decided today to add a light to the coop on a timer to mimick longer days, and just yesterday added some high protein chick feed to their food to help with the egg production. We have been getting a little antsy, to say the least.

Well we spent an hour this afternoon redoing part of the run, and had the girls locked up in the coop. I guess our Blue Andalusian was offended that we thought she might be a rooster, because she went in the next boxes and laid her first egg! SO excited!

She is our only white egg layer, and is the youngest of the chickens. Haha!

Hope the rest follow her pretty quickly!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    CONGRATULATIONS! You have put everything back in perspective for me. Our girls are going on 21-24 weeks old with no eggs yet.
    My husband thought we had the only non laying chicken species. Now, I will calm down and patiently wait YET ANOTHER potential month. I really am happy for you[​IMG]

3. HouseMouseHens

HouseMouseHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    We started wondering if we somehow managed to get e;even of the worlds only non egg laying chickens too. Hahaha! I figured we'd have eggs weeks ago! From what I hear though, it's not normal for it to take this long. Your girls will probably lay soon. Start threatening them. Tell them you're going to cook them for dinner, maybe that is what did it, cause we started telling them that a few days ago. Haha! :)

Good luck on your egg laying!

4. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by