We got some hens.

Jeff n Stella

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
OK,
We acquired 5 hens of the sex link veriety. 2 red and 3 black. and one rooster. (he is being kept seperate) I picked these up and transported them on Tuesday. That evening, I had 1 egg in the nest box. since then, none. The man we bought them from said it may be a day or two before I see any eggs due to the travel. (about 50 miles in the back of the pickup truck) today was thursday and I have found no more eggs. I was kind of expecting to see one or two this evening after work. last night it got down to 36 degrees. am I expecting too much? or should I have seen more eggs by now?

Last edited:

Clackclack

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
I suppose, what you see is what you get... they are probably stressed out from travel, perhaps low temps, new environment, food - you name it. Once they settle down, things will change.

Cotton42

Songster
7 Years
Feb 23, 2012
St. Louis, Missouri
When chickens are stressed they can stop laying, sometimes for weeks. I would give them at least a month before I'd start worrying about them. Why are you keeping the rooster separate?

Clackclack

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
You won't notice the difference if you collect the eggs daily and put them in the fridge immediately.

Jeff n Stella

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
You won't notice the difference if you collect the eggs daily and put them in the fridge immediately.
Thats the catch. Right now Its just me. And I travel a lot. My son, is only home late at night and then works and goes to school. Not that he wont collect them, But he is a teenager. and trust me, it wont be a regular thing. By the end of next month, the whole family will be together, and he can join the flock then.

Thanks for the input. I'll wait.

Jeff n Stella

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013

Its a start!!

Top Bottom