We got the new McMurray catalog...drool

sloper74

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
what a treat. It's so much fun picking out chickens for our next order. Did anyone notice that their shipping prices went way up? I'm trying to compare McMurray and Ideal this year as far as price goes. Ideal seems cheaper overall to ship if you're only picking one type, McMurray seems cheaper if you want a large assortment as they don't charge a fee per variety.

I really want some Cuckoo Marans this year but was wondering about how often they lay? I'm assuming not as much as a R.I. Red or White Leghorn but does anyone have a guess?

Anyone want to share their order plans? Here's mine, I think
wink.png
I'll probably revise:

5 RIR
7 Buff Orp
3 Cuckoo's
5 Araucanas
4 rare breeds (haven't decided. I like the Lakenvelders and the Hamburgs)

sad.png
I dont have a McMurray catalog yet. However, Ive already nearly worn out my Holderreads catalog already.

I used to have Marans and they were pretty good layers.

chel

Ooooh! I like Lakenvelders and Hamburgs, too.
My MMcM catalog came in yesterdays' mail, too ... and my 07 Backyard Biosecurity Calender... AND Bell's Daylily Garden catalog with their 07 introductions.

lol, I need to sell lots of chickens to buy new daylilies.

Lisa
DSC08408-copy-copy.jpg

Dippsy, I got my Mcmurry catalog and my Bio Security Calendar day before yesterday also. Wasn't that nice of the people in Main to send us that for free. There was a very nice catalog of publications available also. I am sending away for the one on composting. I keep a compost pile but I am not sure I do it correctly. It has lots of worms and grubs in it and the chickens love to dig in there, which I try to keep them out by covering in wire.

I wish you were closer I would share an order with you. I still want some Speckled Sussex.
I wonder how their Blue Laced Red Wyandottes are?

Last edited:
Got my McMurray catalog too.
I love looking through it. I may order some books, but the chickens are too high for me.
I always order from Cackle. I'm trying to decide which breeds of laying hens to order first this year.

Jean

I got it too, along with Sand hill. I love the MM layout. I ordered my flock from them, I'm maxed on the number of birds I can have but I sure do love to look & dream.

I recieved mine yesterday and I can't wait to order my first chicks. So many to choose from. I have not decided yet, if I am ordering from MM or Ideal or Cackle. So many choices.......:eek:

So, I ordered through Ideal (used McMurray last year), after much pondering (and drooling). We sold eggs last year but my son wants to do farmers markets this year so we definitely needed more hens.

15 Buff Orps (my favorite)
5 Cuckoos (never done these before)
5 RIR
7 White Rocks
7 Araucanas
3 Red Cochin Bantams (my 9 y/o's fav)
3 Frizzle Cochin Bantams (my 6 y/o's fav from the catalog. He likes how the feathers look like the chicken is dancing. I told him his frizzles might not have frizzle hair but he wanted to try anyway)

Of course they won't ship til 2/8 so I can always add more, which could be very bad. I need someone to set some chicken boundaries with me! I can't help myself!

would love to hear anyone elses spring order plans!

Stephanie

Back
Top Bottom