We got the waiver for our ducks/POSTED IN TWO PLACES HOPE IT'S OK!

dawnjoennikki98

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
New Jersey
Hi everyone.
My name is Dawn and we've been fighting to keep our ducks. If you google my name, dawn stover, or my daughter's nikki vuille, or nicole vuille, you'll see alot of press. fair haven new jersey.
this has been a horrible, stressful 5 months or so, but it's finally over for the most part, and we won! here are the conditions! i think they are all good, except the periodoc inspections with no prior notice. Let me know what you all think! i am in serious need of help to do all the work. I was going to do the gravel and sand months ago, but couldn't spend the money if i didn't know if we'd get the waiver..

COUNCIL OF THE BOROUGH OF FAIR HAVEN
MONMOUTH COUNTY, NEW JERSEY
RESOLUTION

Motion by: Councilman Lucarelli Second by: Councilman Peters

AFFIRMATIVE: Councilmembers Lucarelli, Marchese, Peters
NEGATIVE: None
ABSTAIN: None
ABSENT: Councilmembers Banahan, Koch and Wilhelm
RESOLUTION #2011-84

TITLE: RESOLUTION OF THE BOROUGH OF FAIR HAVEN GRANTING A WAIVER TO THE PROPERTY OWNERS OF 18 SOUTH WOODLAND DRIVE, BLOCK 67, LOT 11 FOR SIX (6) DUCKS

WHEREAS, Ordinance 5-18 prohibits the harboring of certain animals within the Borough unless a waiver is granted by the Mayor and Council; and

WHEREAS, the Mayor and Council have conducted public hearings on this issue and have consulted with the neighbors of the property; and

WHEREAS, the Mayor and Council make the following findings of fact:

1. The property of the applicant is sufficiently large to provide an opportunity for screening of the duck enclosures from the sight of neighboring properties.

2. The enclosure is located sufficiently remotely from adjoining property owner’s home so as to provide for an appropriate screening of the enclosure.

3. The property line nearest the enclosure is fenced, and enclosure will be screened based upon the conditions imposed in this approval.

4. The ducks will be contained in an enclosure during the day and in a shed at night.

5. The ducks are currently full-grown, and will not multiply or otherwise become a greater burden on the owner and neighborhood then they are at the current time.

6. Although the ducks were obtained without prior permission of the Borough, there have been no other complaints against this owner for violations of this or any other Borough Ordinance.

7. The applicant’s property is in the R-40 zone, providing for larger lot sizes.

8. The Borough Council has been made aware of some personal issues for which the ducks serve some purpose that they are not being kept solely as a novelty pet.

9. The Applicant has agreed to certain conditions, set forth below, which are designed to alleviate any burden on adjoining property owners.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Fair Haven, County of Monmouth, State of New Jersey, that the waiver for six (6) ducks at 18 South Woodland Drive, Block 67, Lot 11 is hereby granted subject to the following conditions:
1. The existing outdoor enclosure shall be given a layered “floor” of sand, pea gravel and sand.

2. The enclosure shall be screened on the west side with plantings that are to be at least as high as the enclosure. Other screening on the North and South sides shall be done with plantings or fencing to the greatest extent possible.

3. The enclosure shall be cleaned daily, including the pools and water sources. The pools shall be emptied nightly and scrubbed at least weekly.

4. All food shall be stored above ground, in containers that are inaccessible to animals, specifically raccoons and/or rodents. The food, especially open containers, shall be removed from the outdoor enclosure nightly.

5. The ducks shall not be permitted to roam outside the enclosure, and shall not be permitted in the water source or stream at the rear of the yard.

6. There shall be no breeding of ducks.

7. There shall be no more than the six ducks that currently occupy the property permitted. In the event a duck dies, it shall not be replaced.

8. The area of the enclosure and shed and backyard shall be neat and clean, so as not to be an attractive nuisance to other animals.

9. All required building permits for the enclosure are to be obtained.

10. The Humane Society, ASPCA or other entity shall conduct an inspection of the facility to determine its adequacy for the keeping of the animals.

11. All provisions of the noise ordinance shall remain in effect.

12. All ducks shall be certified healthy annually by a licensed veterinarian.

13. No sale of eggs.

14. All efforts shall be made to reduce the potential for noise, odor, attraction of wild animals, and at no time shall this approval or compliance with these conditions authorize the creation of a nuisance or maintenance of an obnoxious condition.

15. All other provisions of Borough Ordinance 5-18.7 shall be complied with, including an annual re-application to the Council as set forth in the Ordinance.

16. The Code Enforcement Officer and Health Official of the Borough of Fair Haven shall make periodic inspections to ensure that these conditions are being complied with. The property owners will provide access to the Borough Officials without prior notice.

17. Procurement by the property owners of all zoning permits and approvals for the use and structures on the subject property.

18. The conditions as set forth in this Resolution shall be complied with within thirty (30) days of its adoption.

I, Allyson M. Cinquegrana, Municipal Clerk of the
Borough of Fair Haven in the County of Monmouth
and the State of New Jersey, do hereby certify that the
foregoing is a correct and true copy of a resolution
adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Borough of
Fair Haven in the County of Monmouth in the State
of New Jersey at a meeting held on April 25, 2011.

I could 'handle' it...wouldn't be ideal conditions for me since I would to tend to rebel against such things.

7. There shall be no more than the six ducks that currently occupy the property permitted. In the event a duck dies, it shall not be replaced.

But I definitely didn't like the condition above....

I don't like that provision, either. But, at least it gives you time to, perhaps, think about moving in the future to a place that allows poultry as your ducks age. Or to think of other options and get used to the idea that you might not be able to have ducks some day rather than having them ripped out from you.

Congratulations!

Well done on your fight to keep your ducks. I do feel that while some of the ordinances may sound daunting- it is reasonable to expect them as some of these are somewhat typical of conditions set out in many other places. It may also in part be a way for the council to discourage others in your area from just going out to get ducks without prior approval. The periodic unannounced visitations would be most inconvenient - but hopefully more a " threat" than something that will bother you to much. May it be a situation that they turn up once or twice in a short period and seeing all is well leave the visitations to extended periods- or just not bother at all if what they have seen is enough to satisfy them that all is well.

Congradulations.
By following the strict rules you could be opening the door for others to eventually have ducks.
As folks are getting squeezed economically and worried about how healthy their food really is more and more folks are becoming interested in chickens and ducks.

thumbsup.gif

On a funny note, (i don't know if you have a drake or not but) i don't know how you can control "6. There shall be no breeding of ducks"
tongue.png

kinda sucks that you can't sell your eggs though.

I am impressed that you fought it so far. You are a real trooper and should be written up in the history bookd as a pioneer. Congrats. to you. I can't believe they would put you through that. What idiots...

I can't believe that you can not sell your eggs. I would be worried about the part about not replacing ducks I don't mean to sound cruel but I gather there have been problems with neighbors, I worry some one does something to the ducks knowing you can not replace them.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
for the fight and winning so you can keep your ducks.

Ok...the not replacing things is pretty funny. Do you really think a non-duck owner can tell 1 duck from another of the same breed? I can see where one duck might be feeling off and need to go in the house for some care and magically "recovers" after a "trip to the vet". I can imagine some 30 year old ducks in your future if you do it right!
gig.gif

There are reasons why I never lived in subdivisions or anywhere with picky people who only want others to live by their standards
duc.gif
On the other hand by living in Ga. we can shoot predators and have them for dinner
wink.png
, and I get my neighbors mudslides and trash and occasionally loose dogs
smack.gif
..........but I can let my grass get high and have the geese and horses eat it .....something to be said for no codes......but that just raises the taxes anyway...
Codes protect THEIR property values; after all "we don't want those kind of people...like with DUCKS!!!!
ep.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom