We had a visitor to our place PIC

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by River Lizard, Aug 6, 2009.

1. River Lizard

River Lizard Songster

May 29, 2009
    Varina, VA
    and by how skinny he was.....he's hungry!! But I guess that's a good sign, not enough mice to eat! This Rat snake was about 5 foot long and has been hanging around our place for about 4 days now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    He can come to my house and get some mice!!!

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Really! We have plenty of mice here for him!

4. AmyBella

AmyBella Songster

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    Ooooeeee! That is a big snake! Is he hanging around hoping for a chicken dinner?

5. River Lizard

River Lizard Songster

May 29, 2009
    Varina, VA
    Quote:Well right now all we have are Guineas but I think he's safe because the Guineas are too young to get involved with a snake...they'd run as fast as they could to get away from the snake. [​IMG] Heck, I think they freak when they see their shadow let alone a snake.
    They've got to be one of the strangest birds I've ever been around....they definitely do not like change AT ALL.

I set a broom in the corner of the coop one day and they stayed away from that corner all day, wouldn't come within 5 feet of that broom. Then I took it out and within' about 10 minutes they were over in that corner hanging out.

6. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    if they eat mice do they also eat chicks or chickens

7. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Songster

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    They will eat eggs and if they can corner them, small chicks and ducklings.

I lost multiple ducklings this spring until we discovered the culprit: an enormous rat snake who was picking them out of the coop during broad daylight. He was huge and fat, much fatter than poor skinny there.

But I usually leave rat snakes alone unless they become a problem. They are beneficial.

8. midwestmilkmaiden

midwestmilkmaiden Songster

Jun 19, 2008
    [​IMG] BEAUTIFUL!![​IMG]

9. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Wow, gorgeous snake, I wish we had some big stuff like that in my area.

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

They will also take on 3-4 month old silkie size chicks, I found out the hard way. Took a long time to get that out of my mind.... [​IMG]

I relocated it two times and then had to kill it after it kept on. Then another one started the same thing........... [​IMG] Didn't give him the chance I did for the other one. They are very pretty snakes, and as long as they leave my chickens alone and go on their way, I don't bother them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: