We had a visitor to our place PIC

River Lizard

Songster
10 Years
May 29, 2009
Varina, VA
and by how skinny he was.....he's hungry!! But I guess that's a good sign, not enough mice to eat! This Rat snake was about 5 foot long and has been hanging around our place for about 4 days now.

ratsnake1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Well right now all we have are Guineas but I think he's safe because the Guineas are too young to get involved with a snake...they'd run as fast as they could to get away from the snake.
big_smile.png
Heck, I think they freak when they see their shadow let alone a snake.
They've got to be one of the strangest birds I've ever been around....they definitely do not like change AT ALL.

I set a broom in the corner of the coop one day and they stayed away from that corner all day, wouldn't come within 5 feet of that broom. Then I took it out and within' about 10 minutes they were over in that corner hanging out.

They will eat eggs and if they can corner them, small chicks and ducklings.

I lost multiple ducklings this spring until we discovered the culprit: an enormous rat snake who was picking them out of the coop during broad daylight. He was huge and fat, much fatter than poor skinny there.

But I usually leave rat snakes alone unless they become a problem. They are beneficial.

They will also take on 3-4 month old silkie size chicks, I found out the hard way. Took a long time to get that out of my mind....
sickbyc.gif

I relocated it two times and then had to kill it after it kept on. Then another one started the same thing...........
barnie.gif
Didn't give him the chance I did for the other one. They are very pretty snakes, and as long as they leave my chickens alone and go on their way, I don't bother them.

Back
Top Bottom