We had an attack today.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dmbnj, Jan 15, 2015.

1. dmbnj

dmbnj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    I let the flock out for daily recess this afternoon around 3PM. I am usually within visual range, but I was upstairs for a few minutes and I heard the alarm. I ran outside and saw a few of the girls on the firewood rack sounding the alarm. One girl was missing, but I found her in the coop laying an egg. My rooster Little Roo was MIA. At first I thought he had gotten over the fence into a neighbor's yard, but there was no sign of him there. I called him, and did a quick search of the yard to no avail. I started searching the area where I found them and saw feathers from my lavender Orp. I kept searching and saw dark feathers by the wood pile. I cleared off some leaves, and saw my boy's foot. The feather pile was motionless, and I thought what ever invaded the yard killed my Roo. I started tugging at the wood rack, and the feather pile moved. I figured that he was at least still alive. I started pulling off the wood and finally freed him. I picked him up and he was totally fine. Not a mark on him. I figure that the girls climbed the pile to escape whatever was attacking them, and being less than graceful, Roo fell behind the wood pile and got stuck head down. One Buff Orp has a small cut on her comb, but everyone is fine.
    So, there was a loose standard poodle mix running on our block around the time of the attack. It is possible that the dog got into our yard and went for the girls and Roo scared him off. We do have a fox around, but because of our dogs it usually stays away from the yard. I would think that if it was a fox attack the damage would have been fatal. I haven't seen hawks recently, but I know they are around. I'm not certain, but I would think the chickens would run for cover behind the shed rather than up on the wood pile if it were a hawk? I know I was lucky, and still have my flock, but I'm trying to understand who attacked.

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    You are right about the fox being fatal and chickens under cover from aerial predators. It was most likely that dog!

1 person likes this.
  3. dmbnj

May 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    I'm pretty sure that my Buff Orp's injury (a small part of her comb was grazed, probably from flying into something, and not an actual bite) was from the chaos when the predator got in, and not from a physical attack. There were probably about 12 feathers on the ground from one girl, and not the carnage I would expect from a wild predator.

4. dmbnj

May 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    Oh, and today I learned that the "egg song" is the same as the alarm call for something attacking the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by