1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

we had crowing this morning! yikes!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sunket77, Dec 21, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Ok so out little 7 week old nankins gave me a surprise this morning! I walked past their cage and heard "TWEET-TWEET!" thinking I startled them I when on past. The I heard it again "TWEET-TWEET!" and looked over and the little cockerel that I knew for sure was a cockerel (Major) had his neck all streatched out and was trying his darndest to crow! It was to adorable! ...then the one (out of a trio) we weren't sure was a cockerel or a pullet (Scout) followed suit "TWEET-TWEET!" , well there goes that hope of having a trio *sigh*.... then it happened .... number three (Tink) a rosecomb pullet that we were sure was a pullet stretched out her neck and "TWEeet!".... now I have seen hens crow before, I have two that I have seen "try" to crow with their neck stretched out and everything so now WHAT??

do I have a pullet or a cockerel?? She is definitely lighter than the other two with smaller legs and a little rose comb with no wattles present now, no sickle feathers or green feathers coming in. Will a pullet give crowing a shot at this age?

2. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:pics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by