We had our call duck eggs hatch! Well, one at least...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cmart009, Jun 19, 2011.

1. cmart009

cmart009 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I just wanted to get the word out that we had a successful hatch of a single egg, out of three, that we thought would never hatch to begin with. I'm beyond ecstatic right now. [​IMG]

The story: About a month ago, we found a nest that our little call duck, Snow, was sitting on. The bad part was that it was outside, and we were going to have non-stop rain for the next few days. We got her off them and brought the eggs in, and thought of trying out our new incubator with them in it. The first few days were pure terror; At one point, the incubator reached 115 degrees, and the next, 70 degrees. I was sure they were shot, but decided to keep on with them. I finally normalized the temperature at 99.5 degrees within a few days after the initial temperature issues. The next part was to keep turning the eggs...which we only did every morning and night.

Yeah, we were kind of lazy...we forgot some days to turn them. Well, I did at least. Yet...as time went on and I candled them, I saw life pulsating in those little eggs.

And then, it happened! Yesterday morning, I saw a little beak poking a hole in one of the eggs! I was overjoyed, and felt relieved that despite all the turmoil, we might have another little Call running around soon. As the day went on, we went out to visit with a few friends, since there wasn't much to do while they started to hatch. In the evening, another little beak decided to pop out of another egg! The original duckling had already popped out of it's egg, and was drying off, sleeping in the incubator. I pulled it open once to have a look, and good lord, they were right. Call ducklings are the cutest, sweetest, most darling little things on the planet. That little face, those little eyes, that little peep!

Cue another 12 hours going by, and it's morning. I get up to check on them, and find that "Hope", the first out of it's egg, is fine. However...the second egg has stopped moving. The third is cracked, but still as can be. Upon looking at them, I find that both ducklings inside are dead. While I was a little taken aback by this turn of events, I'm actually quite happy. Considering all that those little eggs went through initially, one of three living wasn't that bad for our first time incubating eggs.

For now, Hope is currently residing in a little cage with a brooder light, water, and some baby feed. That little duckling...is the "hope" that drives us for our next batch.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    No Pics????????????? [​IMG]

3. cmart009

cmart009 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I will have some up as soon as possible...being on dial-up puts us at a disadvantage when it comes to uploading and browsing. Heh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by