We had our first calf of the year!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by theoldchick, Dec 24, 2010.

1. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'm so excited! Came about 9 am and is adorable. Black with a white face and legs, she's a beauty for sure! No, I didn't name her Eve. I'm calling her Panda because her facial markings are identical to a Panda! [​IMG]

2. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    We need PICS!!!

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Congrats, and yes, we need pics! [​IMG]

Can't wait til we have the ability to celebrate about a new Yak calf. . . .

4. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Cute a pic is needed.

When are you expecting that to be Illia? I want to see pics of a baby yak for sure. [​IMG]

5. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Cute I am happy for you all!! I can't wait to see pics of your new calf.

Have a Great Christmas!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats! [​IMG]

7. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Pictures pictures and more pictures!!!

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Whenever we get a cow or heifer. [​IMG] Have any idea how hard it is and how long it takes to find a young yak heifer available out in the PNW? . . . (or anywhere, really, except Vermont, Colorado, and Idaho) We were pretty lucky with our bull.

9. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:Whenever we get a cow or heifer. [​IMG] Have any idea how hard it is and how long it takes to find a young yak heifer available out in the PNW? . . . (or anywhere, really, except Vermont, Colorado, and Idaho) We were pretty lucky with our bull.

I am sure thats why I wanna see a pic. I thought you had everything needed actually. If I hear of one I will let you know.

Yak is different then a buffalo right cause I know where some of those are. Well my husband said they are different just now.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA

I am sure thats why I wanna see a pic. I thought you had everything needed actually. If I hear of one I will let you know.

Yak is different then a buffalo right cause I know where some of those are. Well my husband said they are different just now.

Yes, quite different, although one can and has crossed the two. (The guy I got my bull from has a yak/buffalo cross cow as well as some more or less yak offspring from the cow.) They're VERY wild tempered.

We're planning, and have been for a while, to get a yak heifer and a normal "cow" heifer, (yak-cow crosses are surprisingly more common than yaks) but our choice in cattle is very, very picky. No common stuff like Angus, Simmental, Hereford, Limousin, Charolais, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by