We Hatched A Chick Ourselves!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HHandbasket, Jun 8, 2011.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Our broody, Olga, has been sitting on a clutch that started hatching the day before yesterday. She now has 6 beautiful chicks. Some are biologically hers, others belong to other hens in the flock, but our mottled java is the sire of the whole lot so they all look like mottled java chicks! Well, the 2-day-old chicks are starting to become active, and the weather has warmed up significantly in the last 48 hours, as well, so Olga has been getting off the nest with the hatchlings and showing them where the food and water is, though they're not venturing more than 2-3 feet away from the nest.

We noticed there were still 5 unhatched eggs in the nest. Three of them were cold, but two were still warm & one had pipped! We tapped gently on both of them, and both eggs peeped back! Alas, though, she was off the nest with the hatchlings more than she was on it, so we brought the two eggs in the house and put them in the incubator and hoped for the best.

Well, we are using an LG and are doing a fairly dry hatch and still early in incubation in the house, so I was worried about the humidity. I saw a thread here recently that gave me a really good idea... yep, I took that pipped egg and stuck it in my bra! Walked around with it for about 45 minutes to an hour, and I asked Farmer Lew to hold it on his belly under his shirt while I cooked dinner. About 5 minutes later, he came running into the kitchen and exclaimed that it really tickles when it zips! Little bugger was just seriously hatching in my husband's shirt, right on his belly! I finished cooking dinner, and in the interim, Linda (gryeyes) came by for supper. Just as I was serving it, lo and behold, the egg hatched and a VIGOROUS and LOUD little chickie came out and greeted us! He/she hatched about 2-1/2 hours ago. It is in a cage with an EcoGlow, and it's already got "The Zoomies" and is trying to get out.

May I present to you for your viewing pleasure, "Li'l Bit", the chick my husband LITERALLY hatched on his warm, sweaty belly while I cooked dinner this evening!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Haha! Warm, sweaty belly! Contests on your chickiness splendor!!!! I got especially addicted this year. I now have 53 chicks and an incubator full for scattered hatches throughout the month. *sigh*

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] That is too funny! Are you going to name it Button? I guess it would actually be Bell E. Button. [​IMG]

4. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] Great minds think alike! I was just thinking of the very same name! [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. totallytang

totallytang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    nj
    hahaha that is so cute...

7. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    OK HH that takes the cake! I thought I heard it all!!!! Bell E Button is very cute. You know you are going to have to keep this one! Who knew that a person can hatch an egg! And you keeping it in your bra..... Good thinking! [​IMG] 98.6 and 99.3 are very close!

8. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Way too cute. XD

9. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Update - The other warm egg was placed in the incubator & I ramped up the humidity to just about 50% (don't want to kill the other eggs in the bator that have only been in there a week). He had pipped about 7:30 last night, and the egg was rocking back and forth like crazy. We woke up this morning to find a happy little chickie, crawling around in the incubator. Farmer Lew woke up before me, and when I got up, I found him on the couch, sitting there with a pile of chicks on his belly.

No, he's not an animal person at ALL. [​IMG]

10. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    [​IMG] awwwwwwww!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by