1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We hatched these but have no idea what they would be called.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrjsmom, May 30, 2008.

1. mrjsmom

mrjsmom New Egg

May 30, 2008
    Hello, we are hoping you can help us. We hatched chicks for a 4H project. And my daughters are using them for their 4H/pet chickens. But they don't know what they are. I contacted the man we got the eggs from. He has a Black Cochin rooster and hens (some Rhode Island Red, some Barred Rocks, and some Comet). There is also a bantam rooster of unknown origin (but definitely not a cochin and no feathers on any bantam feet) and his two hens. I was told at least one of the hens was a Black Japanese. I will give a brief description of each of the birds as I post the pictures in case that helps.

[​IMG]
    This one (Chocolate) is six weeks old today. It appears to be a bantam. Smaller than the other birds and came out of a bantam egg.

[​IMG]
    This one (Spike) is six weeks old as well. Same deal as Chocolate.

[​IMG]
    This one (Cookie) came out of a bantam egg and appears to be a bantam. Same size as the two before her.

[​IMG]
    This one (Custard) came out of a bantam egg but is MASSIVE!!! As in almost as big as my Black Japanese bantam hen was. And she is only six weeks old. All of these birds are six weeks.

[​IMG]
    This one (Eileen) hatched out of a standard egg. She appears to be a standard.

[​IMG]
    This one (Fluffy) hatched out of a bantam egg but appears to be a standard. Look at the feathers on her feet.

[​IMG]
    This one (Missy) is one of only two clean legged ones we hatched out of fourteen chicks. She appears to be a standard. And she came from a standard egg.

[​IMG]
    This one (Scruffy) is our other clean legged. She came out of a standard egg.

[​IMG]
    This one (Zappa) is just as big as Custard is. Appears to be a standard.

If anyone can maybe sex these guys as well, that would be great. They are all six weeks old in the pics. They were taken a couple of days ago!

Thank you so much from all of us for any help you can provide!

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Well I think you have some nice feathered legs and I'm going to say cochins.

3. mrjsmom

mrjsmom New Egg

May 30, 2008
    We've been waiting with bated breath! LOL! Should they put cochin on their 4H forms, do you think?

And for Missy, the clean legged girly (I hope), what do you think my daughter should put on her form?

Sorry for so many questions but we are trying to make record books for these birdies and not knowing who made what and who is a boy or girl is making it hard. LOL!

Thanks again!

4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Based on what you've posted, they're mostly pretty little mixes or mutts. But there could be some purebred black Cochins in there somewhere; you'll never be able to say for sure since there were two roos. But the one in the fourth pic might be a Cochin.

Looks like the one in the seventh pic might be a roo. But if you want people to post about gender, you'll need more up-close facial shots, because they'll need to see the combs.

5. king2

king2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    GA
    not sure on all of them, but Zappa looks like the barred rock mixed with the cochin, just a guess.

6. seriousbill

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Why would you think you could do that?

Well, except maybe for the black ones, but don't you think you'd still be stretching the blanket since you're not sure?

7. mrjsmom

mrjsmom New Egg

May 30, 2008
    Know what? My daughter and I are going to go have a chicky photo shoot right now. Maybe better pics would help.

I asked about the 4H forms because we don't know what to put on them. We are here asking for advice. And trying to do things the right way. Which is why I asked. Your reply to that comment came off as a bit testy.

8. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

You may find Missy is actually Mister... write mixed mutts or x's but say standard or banty x's

9. seriousbill

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    I didn't mean to sound testy; I'm trying to help. Perhaps I need to explain better. I'll use an example. If you breed a German Shepherd dog to a Beagle dog, can you claim that the puppies are pure German Shepherd? Well, no, you can't. Chicken breeds work exactly the same way. So, within your question itself lies the answer. In other words, you could not possibly truthfully claim that mixed chickens are purebreds; therefore, my question was asked in good faith.

Again, I'm only trying to help.

Edited to add: I'd write "Cochin Cross" or just "Mixed," depending on how much they resembled Cochins.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  10. mrjsmom

mrjsmom New Egg

May 30, 2008
    Thank you so much. I had thought maybe Cochin Cross but we are still learning how they classify chickens. Like there are sporting dogs or whatever. We weren't sure if a Cochin was that type of classification or a breed. Now we know it's a breed. LOL! I just don't know what to put on Mister (obvious when taking new pics, I think.) and Scruffy.

I think Missy, Zappa, and Fluffy are all roosters. Am I right? Here are the pics.

Missy (Mister [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

Zappa
    [​IMG]

Fluffy
    [​IMG]

Susoected hens
    Miss Custard
    [​IMG]

Eileen
    [​IMG]

Chocolate
    [​IMG]

Spike
    [​IMG]

Scruffy
    [​IMG]

Cookie
    [​IMG]
    Edited to add: Scruffy and Cookie were not so into their photo shoot today. Must have been a bad feather day! [​IMG]

Are we right? LOL! This whole thing is just comical. We have no clue what is out there. We need to know who is a rooster so we can build enough chicken houses so each can have his own flock. LOL!

Last edited: May 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by