We hate loosing our chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by peacebaby, Dec 12, 2010.

1. peacebaby

peacebaby New Egg

Dec 4, 2010
    Over the last few week we have noticed that our rooster, Colonel, was slowing down, having a hard time walking and stopped crowing. A few days ago my husband went out to lock the coop door for the night and Colonel was out side, and covered in a little bit of snow. He came in and got me and we said our good byes and placed him inside the coop. The next morning when I went out to unlock the door and let out the birds, Colonel was gone. It was a sad day. He was just over 5 and 1/2 years old and served the flock well. He will be missed forever. The avatar I have up was Colonel when he was about a year old. He was heavier and beautiful at his old age.
    I hope there is a heaven for chickens because he deserves to be there!

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss! A good rooster is worth his weight in Gold! So wonderful he had a great life with you caring for him and that he could live such a long time! Know you'll miss him, sure he's in animal heaven!

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

So sorry for you loss [​IMG]

4. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Sounds like he had good caretakers who loved him! He had a good life though, you did a good job. [​IMG]

5. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    he had a good life from the sounds of it

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    He was so handsome and I am crying as I write this - you obviously loved him and I sincerely hope you have many of his offspring - I have a truly handsome cockerell and he is is incredibly gentle - it is wonderful to have such a great chicken, so many of my cockerells have been agressive and have had to go to pastures new.

Mourn his loss but be thankful that he was yours - he enhanced your lives as you did for him, all I can say is that I am so sorry to hear that you have the heartache that comes with loving - you are very special!

Suzie

[​IMG]:hugs

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'm sorry to hear about your Colonel. It sounds like he lived a great life with you, and was cherished and loved to the very end. [​IMG] Saying goodbye to a friend is always hard, no matter what species.

8. EggNoob

EggNoob Out Of The Brooder

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.. I have quickly realized that our chickens have become cherished pets.. Losing one would be a heartbreak. Better though to a long life serving those who loved him.

9. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    I'm really sorry. [​IMG] But, I bet he's all happy in Chicken World [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by