We have 10 chickie poos & we are new to this!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by millerx6, Aug 21, 2008.

1. millerx6

millerx6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Farmville, Virginia
    We have just bought 10 chickie poos this past saturday! We are new to this!!! If any one has any advise it would be greatly appreciated! We need to know the ins & the outs! It looks as if we have 2 roosters. These chickie poos are all babies, but some a little older than the others. Please help!!![​IMG]

2. 1Speckled Hen w/Chicks

1Speckled Hen w/Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    NC
    Most of all this site will help you tremendiously!!

Look at all the helpful subjects--You will soon become addicted as you learn so much so fast that helps you feel more competant!!

First off-start with a brooder--this can be as simple as a cardboard box to a plastic storage box--You will need a light clamped over the brooder box for warmth more than likely--(according where you live and their age)
    warmth lights have all sorts of posts on here to help you with the recommended temps--You have to watch that closely-as you can easily kill your babies if they get too hot--/get a thermometer so you can monitor the temps--they will need the heat adjusted on a weekly basis.

Chick feed- and feeder for them (a mason jar works great with the small silver base attached)--we also use a quail waterer (found at feed stores)when they are small so they will not run through and step in their water so much.

Chick feed comes in non-medicated form and medicated...which I suggest.You can pick this up at your local feed store, tractor supply, etc.

Make sure they are in a predator safe enclosure, and have protection from bad weather, and clean litter...you'll have change it about every 2-3 days--(NO cedar chips--these are TOXIC to them) Pine chips are fine --I like to use a pelleted form they cant eat- called equine fresh--it is an expanding form of litter which helps with smells, and also lasts longer by shoveling it around in a deep litter method.

(Keep your eye out for pickers--as some in your group may try to pick at others and make sores, etc that can lead to infection and death...red-bulbs in your heat lamps help with this a bit at times)

I hope the little crash course helps you a bit--as you start out---
    Keep reading all the great advice here--and you will do well...
    Best wishes and enjoy those sweet things!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Every time you think of a question, just do a search. You will find so much information here, you will be amazed. Have fun with your new babies!

4. millerx6

Aug 21, 2008
    Farmville, Virginia
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  5. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    If they are starting to get their feathers then they are probably at least a month old depending on the breed. If I were you, I'd keep them in brooder box that was described above for a few days, and then get them into and outdoor coop as soon as you can construct one. You can make a small one since you don't have too many.

Keep feeding them the chick starter feed until they are about 5 months old (for another 4 months) and good on you for taking care of the little rascals! Take care and best of luck!

Ryan

6. millerx6

Aug 21, 2008
    Farmville, Virginia
    Here are a few pics I just took of them. I hope the pics get posted in this!!!!

[​IMG]

7. millerx6

Aug 21, 2008
    Farmville, Virginia
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    To post pics, you will first have to upload them. It is recommended that you use a service like photobucket, but you should be able to upload them hear. On the Forum menu bar this is an option for uploads (right between recent posts and messages). You can store a limited number of pics on this site.

9. millerx6

Aug 21, 2008
    Farmville, Virginia
    [​IMG]

10. millerx6

Aug 21, 2008
    Farmville, Virginia
    [​IMG]
    This one our daughter named Henry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by