We have 14 new babies!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barnyardchicks, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Barnyardchicks

Barnyardchicks New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    NW Wisconsin
    I am TOTALLY excited and totally freaked at the same time!
    We have a little banty hen named Ari and she had been setting- I thought not very long. But surprise! They hatched today or late last night. Some of them were outside with her and some were inside the coop still- two were just coming out of their eggs!! [​IMG]
    Anyhow I scooped them all up but them in with mom- she is so proud! put some hay in there, it has a hard plastic bottom and them put that in a HUGE, tall dog crate thing. I put food and water for her in there and they had to investigate it as well
    She is so good with them, and let us fuss over them and check them over! They are all different colors so I am excited!
    Questions?? What food do I put in there for them? Starter I am assuming... do they eat so soon? They were going at their moms food already!How long do I leave them together? I would like her to do her thing and they are protected from the ducks as well as the other chickens- although they all had to check them out and they were so excited too! [​IMG] My male Muscovey Prince just had to stand by the box with his big head in the box with them!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow, 14! that's awesome... no incubator, packages form the hatchery... just give them water and chick starter and that banty mom will take great care of them.

3. Barnyardchicks

Barnyardchicks New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    NW Wisconsin
    Thank you for the response. makes me feel better about it all! [​IMG]
    I got her from a guy who has Ari's mom and she has always hatched bigger clutches at least 10-14. She disappeared for awhile and he had thought she has been gotten by something wild BUT she came back with these last ones (Ari is one of them) there were 11 others as well and they all made it!
    So I hope that the Ari's sisters get jealous and want babies of their own. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by