1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We have 3 broodys & are getting chicks on Tuesday

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chick-habit, Jan 4, 2017.

1. chick-habit

chick-habit Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2016
    los angeles, ca
    All 3 of our Cochin/silkie girls are broody at the same time. We are getting 3 chicks on Tuesday and had intended on giving them to one particular hen (the smallest hen but she's head of the pecking order). Should we give a chick to each of the hens instead? They're all over a week broody..:I played the sound of chicks chirping and they all went running for their nests.

2. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Since the chicks are used to being together, it may be easier to just give them all to the same hen. But if you want, give one to each and see how it works out. :) Just keep a close eye on the chicks to make sure they aren't being harmed

3. chick-habit

May 11, 2016
    los angeles, ca

Thanks for the advice. I'll try giving them to one hen so I don't have to worry about monitoring 3 hens!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

5. chick-habit

May 11, 2016
    los angeles, ca
    I'm certainly trying! They love being broody. [​IMG]They're cuddling together in the nest box with all the pine shavings taken out and only the wire bottom to sit on. When I move the foster mama and chicks to a brooder (I want to keep an eye on them the first couple of days and it's going to storm here) I can put each hen in her own broody breaker.

6. chick-habit

May 11, 2016
    los angeles, ca
    Adoption was a success!! 3 weeks in and the chicks (we got them at 5 and 1 days old) are roosting with the flock! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Congratulations - how sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by