We have 48, 4-5 week old cornish cross.......how much food??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by hawtchick, Oct 10, 2011.

1. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    So I think our bird are out of control. they are currently eating Chick grower, blue seal organic, 20%. We are going through insane amounts of food....some is waste but I can't afford this. More than 100 pounds a week......should I be with holding food at this point?
    We have never done so many and I am feeling very overhwhelmed.
    Thank you!!!
    Jess

2. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I wet the feed to help with the waste. They seem to waste less and love it very much. They are still on medicated crumbles and will be 11 weeks old tomorrow. Try it and see if it helps! I know how you feel![​IMG]

3. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thank you, but how much food should 50 birds be going through at this point?

4. Lordofchickens 86

Lordofchickens 86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    i dont know about fifty but i raised 25 and they at 4 1/2 weeks were going through fifty pounds in any where from 10-12 days.so a hundred pounds should be lasting you about 10-14 days.they are power eaters.meaning if you feed them all day they will eat all day . it is cheaper to raise your own chicken just use purina meat maker at what you are using mixed together. it is about 14.00 for 50pounds at tractor supply. i used penpals startand grow and that it worked fine. i only lost 3 birds all to predators a hazard of free range chicken meat production. Good luck on your sustainable meat producing adventure.[​IMG]

5. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    It's just going to get worse as they get older. Maybe consider slaughtering some now and have small fryers. The nice thing about the cornish x is they are well rounded out at even a young age.

6. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:They should be getting around 6 oz per bird each day, so if you have 50 of them, that would equate to 18-20 pounds per day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by