We have 7 new chicks!!😍

Mya05

Songster
May 10, 2020
Edmond, Oklahoma
We have a feather foot, named Queenie, that went fully broody. We marked the eggs, and left her in the coup with everyone else. While she was sitting on the eggs, I got busy and wasn't even thinking of checking what she was sitting on. Honestly, I assumed my husband was keeping up with it. Well, by the time I checked, she had already added 4 eggs to the 3 she originally had. Of course, they were all developing🤦🤷 I decided to mark them, and put them back under her. I also ensured that I kept up with taking any added eggs out from under her. Thankfully, she only complained verbally to me, and didn't try to draw blood, like she did with anyone else who got within pecking distance. When the first 3 eggs hatched, I fully expected her to abandon the nest. I even had an incubator prepared. Well, she stayed on the nest for another 8 days, and hatched the rest of the eggs😍 She is now the happy mother of 7 chicks!🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣❤❤
We ended up separating her and the chicks from the rest of the flock, because she had all of them on edge, and terrified of being anywhere near her or her chicks😳😂 You cannot see it in the pictures, but there is a door that connects the smaller coup to the run, so we can open it to allow mama and babies to interact with the rest of the flock eventually. Right now, they can see, but not touch. Also, in the photos, it looks like 8 chicks , because one of them decided to be in both pictures😂 I am also very proud to say that I am still the only person that can interact with mama and her chicks without fear of injury😍😂

Attachments

• 20210625_063755_HDR.jpg
    20210625_063755_HDR.jpg
    919 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210625_063812_HDR.jpg
    20210625_063812_HDR.jpg
    751.3 KB · Views: 17
Today, we had some flash flooding. We've had this in the past, but it seemed to happen faster this time. Our backyard is very uneven, and has several spots where water will accumulate. Unfortunately, it seems one of those spots includes where we placed Queenie and her brood. They were all huddled in the far corner of the coup, and hadn't gone up the ramp for some reason. I checked the coup to ensure there wasn't anything concerning, then proceeded to try and herd Queenie and her 7 chicks up the ramp. I ended up having to grab them one by one, starting with Queenie, and placing them up where it was safe. Basically, I would grab one, place it inside, shut the door, then grab another, place it inside, and shut the door, eight times!! I will have to move the coup, but why can't chickens seek higher ground?!!🤦🤷 I know it's not their bed time, but honestly!!🙄😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom