1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We have 8 chicks~PIC!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GopherBoyFarms, Oct 6, 2008.

1. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    Ok, the humidity was at 50 the first 17 days. Now that it is day 18 I cant remeber is it suposed to be at 65 or 85??

thanks!! Hopefully we will get something out of this.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I'm making a bator similar to yours and MissPrissy's. It is made from a styrofoam ice chest, and I used the idea you thought of for a turner. [​IMG] So I'm interested to see how this turns out for you! [​IMG] Maybe if you get great results with the turner, then I will too! [​IMG]

Humidity should be at 50-70%. [​IMG]

Hang in there! You're almost there! [​IMG]
    Good luck! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    so what happens if the humidity is around 70?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would try to get the humidity down to 65% at least. If the humidity is too high, it could cause the air sac to fill with water, causing the chicks to drown when pipping into the air sac. That is just my opinion, others might feel differently.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I run mine at 70 to 75%

6. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    I'm having the opposite problem. This is now day 19 for me and I have been having to add more water and sponges ever since I opened my 2nd ventilation hole. It was 47% when I left for work last night. Hopefully it will be up in the am when I get home.

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Close the 2nd ventilation hole. What kind of incubator are you using? If you are using the LG 9200 try covering half of one hole with a piece of tape. Like this.... See the red rectangle over the vent hole on the bottom left? I found that if I opened them up completely, humidity dropped way low. If i closed them completely it SOARED... So I modified it and only covered half, and it seems to work great!

[​IMG]

You know what they say! Tape and a glue gun will fix anything! LOL

8. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    K... Ill try that. Thats the incubator I am using too.

9. TheTeenyTinyFarm

TheTeenyTinyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Elberon, Virginia
    I have not added any water at all and the hygrometer has said about 22% humidity. They seem to be developing and moving fine in the eggs. Do you think I did something wrong and are they going to not hatch good?

Tomorrow is day 18 and I will put the wet sponges in the morning.

10. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I am just a little ways south from you and my issue has been keeping the humidity down enough too.......we are just so darn humid anyways....

Good luck!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by