We have a baby - almost - lol ** UPDATE **

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
well this little one started to pip yesterday - dont know when we were out and about most of the day - I looked in on "her" this morning to see she had made a bigger hole and was moving and breathing and rolling her egg round -- so I have been doing busy work - i went outside to water flowers and tell Ebony the mommy duck one of her babies is trying to hatch

came back in and saw this --

S6300349.jpg

there is alot more blood than I thought there would be and I have seen her gasping a few times - is that normal. I can clearly see her bill and one little webbed foot -

Julie

Last edited:
Has anyone been trying to help it hatch? With my chicks that hatch I don't see that much blood.

I am the only one home - and I have not been doing anything with her -since this is my first hatch I would not know where to begin even if this duckling needed my help - so I have just been watch her -- the other two eggs so far dont look like they are doing anything yet - but hopefully tonight they will start today is day 29 for these babies

Julie

well baby is out I saw her kinda do this push roll out kinda move and noticed that she is still stuck to the shell - I opened the bator to get a look and there is about a quarter sized piece of yolk still attached to the shell which is attached to the duckling so I wrapped a washcloth around her - to make sure she dont move to much -- what are her chances to survive??? I am very new to hatching I dont know what to do - how long do I leave her in there? what do I do with her now?

why did she hatch before she was totally ready ? I have 2 other eggs in there I am hoping hatch better. This is really frustrating I feel like I should be doing something for her but I dont know what to do -- Does temp have something to do with them hatching like this or was it the humidity I am really confussed as what to do now - I was so scaried to have something like this happen my first time hatching eggs

Please help
hit.gif

here is a pic I managed to snap while I was wrapping her up

S6300350.jpg

Julie

I have never hatched ducks but I have had a few chicks hatch that did not have the entire yolk absorbed and were still attached to the shell. I just let them be even though it looked like they had very little chance of surviving. They absorbed the yolk and were fine. I did have to cut the cord on one chick. It was dragging the bottom of the egg shell all over the bator.

how do I keep it from drying up? is there a way to remove some of that shell without removing the yoke sack from her? how long do i lever her in there?

Some body should be able to give you tips on that. I my self never mess with them anymore. I hate to say it, but i put them down when it happens.

But i know there is some on here that have got them through it and maybe they will respond and help you through this.

charlie

Back
Top Bottom