We have a baby dove!!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by shelleyd2008, Mar 14, 2011.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I can't get pics yet because the other egg still hasn't hatched, but I noticed mom still on the nest at around 1 pm today and thought that was kind of odd. She was also 'standing' in the nest as opposed to setting all snuggled in it or standing at the front of the cage like she's starving...which is what she's usually doing in the middle of the day [​IMG]. So I looked closer and saw a teeny tiny wing move out from under her! [​IMG] Here's hoping the other one hatches, but at least I have 1 [​IMG] I wish the bands I ordered 2 WEEKS AGO would get here already! [​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Congrats!! [​IMG]

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Congrats!

4. little brown hen

little brown hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    Congrats Shelly I have 2 pair and 3 babies so far this past weekend all the excitement started so i know how exciting it is. They are so ugly they are cute. Good Luck.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Okay, it looks like we have 2 baby doves...each pair has their own baby. The first baby already has its eyes open (and my stinking bands are STILL not here!) and the eyes are so freaky! [​IMG] They are almost like little holes in the head, very weird! [​IMG] If I remember to take my camera out tomorrow I'll get pics of the new babies. [​IMG]

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Don't worry, the time period for banding doves is a little bigger, if I remember right. Their little feet don't seem to grow as big as fast. It always seems like forever until I get to band mine.

7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Congratz on the babes

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:John Fowler of the ADA said that this year's bands are bigger than last so I should be able to put them on later. Normally it says at age 5-7 days...so hopefully they are a lot bigger than normal because I'm pretty sure my first baby is about 5 days old. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Well lucky me, I still haven't received my bands [​IMG] Guess these little ones just won't be getting them. Hopefully I will get the bands soon, before the pairs decide to start a new brood [​IMG]

Here are the baby pics, both pairs ended up hatching 1 baby. This is the baby belonging to my pair of blondes. [​IMG]

Mom and dad:
    [​IMG]

And this is the baby belonging to my blond/pied pair.
    [​IMG]

Anyone like to explain how I have a white baby from 2 non-white parents?? Mom and dad:
    [​IMG]

The pigeons also have 1 baby (you may have seen my 'oh no' thread) but since it's been through quite an ordeal, I think I'll give it a while before its photo shoot [​IMG]

10. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    very cute

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by