We have a build schedule now!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KDOGG331, Jan 11, 2015.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The title basically says it but....

My dad just gave me a build schedule for the coop. :D

He kind of threw it upon me, totally unexpected, just now because I have to raise the funds for it and don't have much time to do it but I'm happy he's so on board.

Basically, if I can raise the money by February 10th (so only a month away), we can start building and then probably be done by early to mid April. It will take longer because we can only work weekends and the reason it's so early is because we have a boat too that he needs to start getting ready in April to launch probably in May or early June so we can't really work past mid April. I'm still happy though. :)

I forget exactly what he said already but I think it was the first weekend is the framing and something else, a weekend for putting it together, weekend for the roof, weekend for the nest boxes (I don't see how that takes a weekend but hey), weekend for the run/putting the fence posts in the ground, weekend to finish it up, etc., not to mention painting or any delays from bad weather or life events.

All in all though, seems to be a pretty good schedule to me.

I think in total it would probably at least 6-8 weeks (weekends) and then in theory we would get the chickens in early or mid April from the local feed store.

I'm super excited. :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Good luck,hope you enjoy the whole process!

3. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thank you so much! :)

4. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Here's a mini update, in case anybody is interested.

I took pictures of a bunch of stuff this morning and uploaded them onto the computer so I'm now posting a bunch of stuff on eBay. :)

There's so much stuff in this house that I essentially have an unlimited amount of stuff to sell lol

I'm obviously starting with the more expensive stuff first though :p

My friend also convinced me to make one of those campaigns aha I was thinking about it but didn't want to because it seemed sort of stupid to ask for money for chickens rather than some health issue or a project like a movie or an album, but I decided to make one anyways. Not necessarily because I want to ask for money but just because I figured I would, sort of for fun, and if anybody wants to donate, great. If not, well, that's why I'm selling stuff on eBay lol

Sooo... I'm setting up a GoFundMe page right now too.

That's about it, really.

As I mentioned above, I have until about February 10th to gather the funds, so I'm really trying to get there.

5. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Your setting up a page to ask for funds for your chicken hobby? Man have times changed. There must be more to this story I don't know about. Do you have a bunch of chickens now you can't house?

6. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well, I was thinking about it but I haven't done it yet, mostly because I haven't had time to make a proper video and don't just want a picture for it aha

But nope, there's not more to the story. I don't have chickens yet I'm hoping to get them in the spring. But we're going to start building the coop next month, if I get the money.

The page wouldn't so much be asking for money as it would be seeing if I could get anything/for fun. I don't expect to get anything and I wouldn't promote it on Twitter or anything, or at least not more than one post, like I would if it was a real cause such as a medical need or a band trying to fund album or anything like that. It's more just mentioning I have it/just making the page and if anybody would want to, they could. But I might not even make the page. I don't know yet.

I'm also trying to sell a lot of stuff on eBay, and eventually looking for a real job, so I'm not solely asking for money and not actually working to earn it myself but yeah :)

7. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
  8. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    A couple of updates since I last posted:

1. We went to the feed store last week to get an idea on the cost of building a fence for Gator, since he had run off, and Ross (the guy we know) was there so we found out they start taking chick orders February 1st.

2. We've been stuck in the house for 2 days (since Monday) because of this storm. It finally stopped this morning so we were able to go to dinner but stuck inside before that. We got A LOT of snow. And we're supposed to get 2 more storms tomorrow and Saturday but much smaller.

3. I finally got around to making a campaign. There's a short post about it here: http://kdogg331.tumblr.com/post/109454487707/i-know-it-sounds-stupid-but-were-hopefully

I know some people don't agree with it but it's more of a joke (my friend convinced me to do it) and I have already raised a fair amount on my own. Details on all that are in the post and the campaign page though.

There's also the eBay link in the post.

But yeah.

I'm pretty excited because it seems like the chicken thing is very very real and within reach now. :)

I actually have almost all of it now so, again, very real and I'm excited :)

9. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    OH! And also, if anything is inaccurate in the campaign, please help me fix it. I wasn't sure on costs and a lot of the stuff so yeah.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by