We have a Cock-a-doodle-doo-er!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cat Water, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    My silkie rooster Nugget decided to crow the other day. I just heard it today! My dad says he's been doing it for the last few days, but it hasn't woken me up! You can hardly hear it! [​IMG] He only does it a couple times INSIDE the coop! At a decent hour! I had to have my dad wake me up so I could hear it and prove he wasn't lying! Will he stay like this? [​IMG]

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    No, he will get louder the more he practices. Oh and they tend to get louder after the hens start letting them mate too. Just can't keep it to themselves. [​IMG]

Mid-coast Maine and your a Phillies fan? I guess as long as it isn't the Yankies...[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  3. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    They are only about three months old, so they haven't started laying yet, but I have seen him starting to step on my dearest little Alfred (who is a girl). Is he trying to mate them? And he has been practicing for a while, so my dad says. Like two or three weeks.

My dad was born and raised in Deleware. I was born there. That's where my heart is. [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Yep.

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    At three months old he hasn't reached full size yet. As he grows and his chest gets bigger he'll get more volume.

Ah - that explains the Phillies! Hope you get down to see them play sometime!

6. grandads

grandads Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    I love to hear my roosters crow!

7. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I know! It was so cute and it reminds me of farms and "happy times." I am so proud of him, my little man.

The only reason I want it to stay quiet is I have neighbors that are only about 100 feet away, and I don't want them to complain. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by